Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
8. Gravitational Field Summary
Transcript of 8. Gravitational Field Summary
NEWTON's LAW of GRAVITATION
Gravitational Field Strength
gravitational force per UNIT MASS
of object with mass M
Work Done in moving UNIT MASS from infinity to final point (radius R away from centre of body of mass M)
Work done required in moving body of mass m from infinity to final position (radius R away from centre of body of mass M)
minimum kinetic energy required for gain in GPE from surface to Earth to INFINITY
Earth: g = 9.81 N/kg
gravitational field lines
gravitational potential at infinity = ZERO
Satellites in Circular Orbits
Gravitational Force = Centripetal Force
minimum starting velocity
loss in KE = gain in GPE
i.e. Earth surface - only KE -->
infinity - only GPE, no KE
Period of revolution, T = 24 hours
plane of revolution in plane with Equator
satellite revolves from WEST to EAST
Energy of Satellite in Orbit
gravitational field strength
gravitational potential energy