Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The United States Constitution - "A Bundle of Compromises"
Transcript of The United States Constitution - "A Bundle of Compromises"
- Establishes the Legislative Branch
2 House Congress
House of Representatives (Proportional)
Slaves count as 3/5 a person
Age - 25 yrs. old (House), 30 yrs. old (Senate)
Terms - 2 yrs. (House), 6 yrs. (Senate)
House has the power of impeachment
Senate can try all impeachments
All bills originate in the House
All bills must be approved by Senate
Taxes, borrow $, regulate commerce, coin $, declare war, create a Navy, Army, and Militia,
"Necessary and Proper" clause
importing slaves after 1808
, suspending the Writ of Habeas Corpus, No Nobility titles
- Establishes the Executive Branch
Elected by "Electoral College"
Age - 35 yrs. old
Term - 4 years (2 term max)
Commander in Chief, pardons, make treaties, create cabinet positions
"State of the Union" address, execute and require enforcement of law
(The Great Compromise)
Congressional Powers include:
Congressional Powers denied:
Article I - Sections 1-10
Article II - Sections 1-4
Powers of the President:
Duties of the President:
- Establishes the Judicial Branch
Creates a Supreme Court, and inferior courts
The supreme court determines the "
" of Federal Laws (1803,
Marbury v. Madison
Powers of the Judicial Branch:
Punish for treason,
Article III - Sections 1-3
- "Relations Among the States"
All states have "Full Faith and Credit"
Citizens are protected by their "States Rights"
"Fugitive Slave Clause"
No states can make new states within themselves
Article IV -
Article V -
- Procedures for future amendments
Article VI -
, Debts, and Oaths of Office
Article VII -
The Bill of Rights
(The 3/5 Compromise)
What were some of the compromises that the Anti-Federalists achieved within the Constitution?
What were some of the compromises that the Federalists achieved within the Constitution?
Strong Central Gov't
- I - Freedom of Speech, Religion, Assemble, Petition, etc...
- II - Right to bear
- III - No Quartering
- IV - No unreasonable Search and Seizures
- V - Due Process
- VI - Trial by Jury - Criminal Cases
- VII - Trial by Jury - Civil Cases
- VIII - No Excessive Fines
- IX - "non-enumerated rights" are left to the people
- X - "non-enumerated powers" are left to the states
The Whiskey Rebellion -
The American Federal Government was strong enough to enforce its laws now.