Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Islam
A follower of the Islamic religions is called a Muslim
19 years with 354 days
11 years with 355 days
Results in different seasons for the holidays, between generations
Muslim holidays occur during different seasons every generations, because their calender is lunar.
Ramadan: a month of fasting and celebrating the time when the Quran was revealed to Muhammad
Eid UI-Fitr: celebrates the end of Ramadan
Ashura: tenth day of the Muslim year
birthday of Muhammad
Religious Place Names
Mecca: Holiest City
Medina: City of the Prophet
Jerusalem:City of religious natives
Karbala: Shi'a Islam
Najaf, Iraq: Shi'a Islam
Religion vs. government: Muslims had conflict with the soviet union because they didn't approve of the teachings of the Islam religion and had limited religious activity.
Religion vs. Religion: Conflict over Jerusalem between Jews, Muslims and sometimes Christians. The Wailing wall is an example of the conflict between the religions. Dispute over who can worship there. Hard to divide.
Islam means submission (to God) In Arabic.
Sunnis and Shites are branches of the Islam religion.
Believe that Allah sent prophets to the world. Muhammad being the last prophet.
Believe in one God (Allah)
The Koran is a book Muhammad's followers wrote.
Still written and studied in Arabic.
Pray 5 times a day at least.
Pray facing direction of Mecca.
To Pray they can stand,bow,kneel, or bend from a kneeling position and touching forehead to ground (prostration).
Distinctive Place of Origin
Mecca in Arabia which is now Saudi Arabia.
Overview of Religion
Places of Worship
a space for community assembly
not viewed as a holy place
found in larger cities (smaller structures are used in rural villages)
They bury their dead in a traditional cemetery.
Cremation is forbidden
organized around a central courtyard
minaret: a tower where a man called a Muzzan summons people to worship
a pulpit faces Mecca, at the end of the courtyard
schools and other spaces surround the courtyard.
5 Pillars of Islam
1. Shahada- All must say "There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his prophet and messenger."
2. Salat (daily prayer)- A muslim prays at least 5 times a day, at noon, mid-afternoon, sunset, and bedtime.
3. Zakat (charitable giving)- Muslims give at least 2.5% of their income.
4. Sawm (fasting)- during Ramadan adults do not eat, drink, or smoke while the sun is up.
5. Hajj- Every muslim who is able to travel visits the holy city of Mecca at least once in their lifetime during the Pilgrimage month of Dhu-I-Hijja
Mecca: holy city. In the city is a shrine called the Kabba, a forty feet cube, that has a black stone believed to be from the heavens. Pilgrimage to Mecca, called the Hajj, is the fifth pillar of Islam.
Madinah: where Muhammad's tomb is, and where he first gained support.
Distribution of Islam
Mostly distributed in Northern Africa, Indonesia, And Southern Asia.
"Islamic Places: The Muslim World." Islamic Sacred Sites and Places. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2013.
"Muslim Funeral Traditions." Everplans. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2013.
Yenigun, Sami. "A Muslim Cemetery Helps To Ease Funerals' Strain." NPR. NPR, n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2014.
The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, n.d. Web. 02 Jan. 2014.
Global Security.org. Photograph.Web.
2009.OIC. Photograph. Web.
Einstein, Norman. 2006. Wikimedia Commons. Photograph. Web.