Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Manatee
-eat 9-30 kg of a whole variety of plants daily-herbivores
-use whiskers called vibrissae
-used for orientation, sense things
-humans responsible for over 50%
of manatee deaths
-endangered - destroyed habitat, fishing ropes, sudden drops in water temp.,boats ,litter
-found in South America and in Gulf
- also found in rivers
- similar to an elephant
- seen by toenail on each flipper
- 10 feet long and 800-1200 pounds
- vibrissae covering entire body
Which group does the manatee belong to fish,mammal,bird or reptile?
3. Social Habits
6. Reproduction System
6. Short Video
7. Fun Facts
Thanks for watching!!!!
-females travel together
-live alone,groups, or in pairs
-depends on the individual manatee
-pregnancy duration=12-14 months
-almost always, only one calf is born
-normally breed between 7-9
-newborn calf weighs about 60 to 70 pounds and are a little more than 4 ft long
-mother stays with calf for up to 2 years
-males take no part in the parental care of the calf
-eat feces to gather information
- subspecies include Florida and Antillean Manatee
- manatees swim at about 3 to 5 mph - can do somersault, roll and swim upside down
- live up to 60 years
- spend most of their time feeding, resting or traveling
- have only six neck vertebrae
1. What do manatees eat?
2.Whey are they endangered?
3.What are the whiskers (vibrissae) used for?
Table of Contents