Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Act I Scene 1
Transcript of Act I Scene 1
1. How is Hippolyta’s reasoning concerning how quickly the next four days will pass different from that of Theseus? Note how Shakespeare portrays the patience and calmness of Hippolyta in contrast to the impatience and need for action of Theseus.
3. What was the proper role for women/daughters in Athenian society according to Egeus and Theseus?
The proper role for women/daughters in Athenian society was to obey their husbands or fathers. Fathers were portrayed as gods.
5. How does Lysander’s comment about Demetrius’s previous love affair with Helena complicate things?
Lysander wants Demetrius to look bad. Lysander tells Theseus and Egeus about how Demetrius made Helena fall in love with him, and then ignored her.
Hippolyta is a lot more calm, compared to Theseus. Theseus is very impatient, and wants a celebration to get started immediately.
2. Why has Egeus brought his daughter and her two suitors to Theseus? What does Egeus expect him to do?
Egeus wants Theseus to resolve this situation because his daughter will not obey him anymore. Hermia loves Lysander. She does not love the man he wants her to marry, Demetrius. Egeus wants Theseus to punish her.
4. What is Theseus’s ruling concerning Hermia?
Theseus tells Hermia to make a decision by the next new moon. She can either be put to death, marry Demetrius, or become a nun.
6. What do Lysander and Hermia plan to do about this seemingly impossible situation?
They plan to run away together to Lysander's Aunt's house. They will meet in the woods tomorrow night.
7. Why do they tell Helena what they plan to do?
They tell Helena because now she can be with Demetrius. Hermia
will no longer be around.
8. Even though Helena loves Demetrius and is Hermia’s best friend, why does she decide to tell Demetrius of Hermia and Lysander’s plans?
Helena decides to tell Demetrius of Hermia and Lysander's plans
because she believes it will make Demetrius thankful, and he will
fall in love with her instead.