Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
My PhD Proposal
Transcript of My PhD Proposal
challenges? What is the
starting point? How can value be created? Business Intelligence Maturity "If you can't measure it you can't manage it!"
CEO, General Electric Research Problem Business Intelligence Maturity Why this area? Research Problem Business Intelligence Maturity What are the main challenges? Research Problem Business Intelligence Maturity BI Maturity Models Academic
BI Maturity Models Is there any academic BI MM which already been theoretical foundated, tested and validated? What is the
starting point? Literature Review Research Problem Business Intelligence Maturity How can value be created? Incremental Approach Interseccional Approach BI MM Self Assessment
BI Maturity explained through
an holistic approach New variable at the BI MM (External Environment)
Contextual Approach The Hypothesis Business Intelligence Maturity Research Strategy 1. Theoretical Foundation
2. Development and Improvement of the BI MM
3. Validation Methodology Research Strategy 1. Theoretical Foundation Methodology Extensive Literature Review
BI Maturity Models
New trends of BI
New variables (External Environment) Research Strategy 2. Development and Improvement
of the BI MM Methodology Redesign the BI MM in order to include the new variable and trends of BI. Research Strategy 3. Validation Methodology The path to validate a MM appropriately is not clear.
There is not any "ideal" validation method.
Literature review suggests the combination of multiple methods. Research Strategy 3. Validation Methodology Qualitative Quantitative CCP Framework
Focus Group Parcial Least Squares (PLS) Theoretical Input
Exploratory Approach Empirical Validation
Conclusive Approach Expected Results BI Maturity Measurement Instrument "Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison Konrad Lorenz - Nobel Prize 1973
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" "Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited to open the way to the next better one. " None! Evaluation A manager needs to evaluate as a way to improve its own systems and justify the investment made. Business Intelligence Over the past years - According to Gartner Research, BI has been at
the TOP of CIO's strategic agendas. Maturity Models Their purpose is to establish a roadmap from "where we are today" to "where we want to be". Evaluation Process Complex procedure due to tangible and intangible benefits. Business Intelligence Concept There is not any universally-accepted definition of BI.
The Managerial Approach is the most used according to a study published on the American Journal of Scientific Research. Thus, BI maturity evaluation present itself as a complex process because of the subjectivity of both concepts and the scope of BI. Research Strategy Publication Strategy Methodology Source: MIS Quartely Vol 36, 2012 (Adapted) Which Journals? Which are the authors to follow? Which Conferences? Why this
area? Albert Einstein Why this area? Business Intelligence Maturity Publication Strategy Source: Lahrmann, G., Marx, F. (2010) Verify if the variables in a modular approach can
explain BI Maturity:
- Existing variables (six modules)
- New variable (external environment) Effective - Documented - complete theory-based, tested and validated. well documented so it can be possible to implement it. Flexible - able to be adapted in companies of all industries and users. Scalable - able to be easily updated to new trends and technologies of BI. Transversal - able to provide a holistic vision of BI. Robust - built based on a set of acceptable best practices. Business Intelligence Maturity Source: Lahrmann, G., Marx, F. (2010) (Adapted) Maturity Models Research Problem Business Intelligence Maturity How can value be created? PhD Thesis Proposal ISEGI -UNL Expected Results Work Plan During this preliminary research eight tasks were identified as milestones. December 2012 - MIS Quarterly has released a Special Issue on BI.