Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Veterinarian Technician
Vet techs typically earn somewhere between $20,000 and $50,000 a year. However, veterinary technicians with considerable experience, working for the largest, most successful employers, can earn more than $75,000 a year.
Job Duties Or Expectation
1) Techs are responsible for the care of animals, as instructed by veterinarians.
2) They may restrain and handle animals during examinations, perform lab work such as blood tests and urinalysis, and take and process x-rays.
3) In addition, techs assist vets with surgical procedures by monitoring the animal’s heart, pulse, blood pressure, and breathing while they are under anesthesia.
4) Techs are also responsible for the daily health and welfare of animals while the animals are under veterinary care
5) They water, feed, and groom the animals and monitor their recovery from surgery or illness.
6) Veterinary techs are often the front-line workers of animal care facilities.
7) Through daily contact with the animals, they play a crucial role in animals’ treatment and recovery.
8) They also administer medicines, change dressings, and prepare animals for surgery.
9) In addition, veterinary techs act as a link between busy veterinarians and worried pet owners.
10) They relay vital information on the care of sick and injured pets to their owners.
11) They educate owners on nutrition and medication for their pets, and may be the first contact on the telephone in case of pet emergencies.
Skills And Education Required
If you’re interested in becoming a veterinary technician, start by taking
senior-level courses in chemistry, biology, and math in high school.
Following high school, you must
complete a 2 or 3-year diploma program in veterinary technology
. Depending on the school, these programs may also be called animal health technology or veterinary technician programs. Programs are offered at several colleges across Canada.
Veterinary technology students take
a range of courses related to the diagnosis, treatment, and care of both large and small animal
s. Many programs include a field placement, allowing students to obtain on-the-job experience.
NOC # : 3213
HIGH SCHOOL SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS
Health & Physical Education
Health & Physical Education
Probability & Statistics
Algebra & Geometry
1) "Career Cruising." Career Cruising. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2013. <http://public.careercruising.com/ca/en>.
2) "Your career starts here." WorkBC Official Website. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Dec. 2013. <http://www.workbc.ca/>..
3) "Main Page." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Sept. 2013. Web. 9 Dec. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>.
- The lifestyle factor for a vet tech is very tiring and challenging and requires a lot of patience as they have to deal with wild animals that may result in biting or scratches.
- A vet tech also needs to control his/her emotions or stress because they are often associated with treating abused animals or even worse, putting down animals.
- Vet tech are also required to get to work on time and be prepared for any scheduled surgery.
- Vet techs are required to check an animal's heart beat or pulse every morning and sometimes are needed to monitor the animals during the night.
- A vet tech also needs to be calm during a surgery as sometimes you may be required to transfer to another patient right after a surgery.