Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Understanding By Design
Transcript of Understanding By Design
Evidence of student understanding:
"Backward Planning" for
Understanding by Design
Identify Desired Results
Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe
Teachers must be
Focus in on
deepening student understanding
transfer learning during authentic performance
Evidence of understanding:
Avoids mistake of 'activity-based' planning & 'textbook as curriculum'
Must constantly check for understanding
Teachers as coaches:
Review results against desired standards to assure intended goals.
Check against standards
Review and adjust curriculum and teaching strategies based on results
Evaluate and Revise
What should students know?
What should students understand?
What should students be able to do?
Determine Assessment Evidence
What will we accept as evidence of student understanding?
How will we evaluate student performance in fair and consistent ways?
How will we know if students have achieved the desired results?
Student can make sense of material through analogies and models.
Student can apply understanding to new situations
Student can recognize
different points of view
Student shows empathy
for situation of others
Student can reflect on learning process
Design Lesson Activities
1. How can we scaffold instruction to best promote learning?
2. What skills and knowledge do student need to be successful?
3. What activities, sequence and resources are best for the learning goals?
Wiggins, G. & McTighe, J. (2004). Understanding by design. (expanded 2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD).
Wiggins, G., & McTighe, J. (2011). Understanding by design framework. ASCD.org. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/pdf/siteASCD/publications/UbD_WhitePaper0312.pdf
Establish Learning Priorities:
1. State Standards
2. Curriculum expectations
1. Stimulate sustained inquiry into the "big ideas"
2. Require consideration of alternatives & evidence.
3. Connect with prior learning and experiences.
4. Create opportunities for transfer to other situations & subjects.
Presentation by Devin Hess (2013)
KSU - EDCI 888