Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Egg Parachute experiment

No description
by

Aroha Chinchanwala

on 19 November 2015

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Egg Parachute experiment

Dependent variable
Egg Parachute experiment
By Aroha, Willow and Alyssa

Method
1. Cut off the handles of the plastic bag
2.Cut holes in the plastic bag
3. Weave string through the holes
4. Tape all the strings together
5. Wrap the egg with paper, tissue stuffed inside
6. Attach the parachute to the egg

Picture of parachute!
Conclusion
I think we did a pretty unique parachute. The idea of weaving the string into the bag was good, but we have come to the conclusion that it did not catch enough air to make it aerodynamic. We got quite a good time for the finals, but we got better timings on our previous parachute, with the highest time of 2.17. I think we should of worked on making our parachute more symmetrical, as the more equal it is on both sides, the more chance it will stay afloat. However, We were able to conceal our egg in a good way, cushioning it. Our egg did crack, but we got the 4th biggest time, and thats what counts!

Our aim
Our aim was to find out what type of parachute can make eggs stay in the air the longest, without cracking when it reaches the floor, using the materials given.
Materials used
• An egg
• 1m of tape
• 2 paper towels
• 1m of string
• 1 plastic shopping bag

We used a stopwatch to measure the seconds (which are the units we will be measuring in) that it took the egg parachute to fall to the floor from a certain height. Another unit we measured in is meters, for the height that we drop the egg from. In the classroom, we dropped the egg from one meter above the floor, using a meter ruler, and in the the atrium, we measured from the second floor, which is roughly 10-15 meters above the ground.
Controlled variable
We kept the same rock for all our experiments to make sure that the time is measured fairly. We didn’t change the amount of material we used so each parachute used the same amount of material. When we were in the science lab, we made sure that we released the parachute at one meter to make the time measurements accurate. In the atrium, we released the parachute on the same level.
Independent variable
Our independent variable was changing the smaller plastic bag, to a slightly bigger plastic bag. We had also changed the way we put the string, in which we weave it through the bag through 8 equal holes. We think this changed the experiment because we thought it would make the bag more aerodynamic. We also changed the bag to an orange bag.
Discussion
Our design worked well, and we discovered that, in order to have the most effective parachute, it needed to catch the air easily, to hold it afloat, and stop the egg from cracking. Our results would have been better if we had discovered this method earlier on. It helps to use the internet to see what parachutes have been more effective in the past for other people. The best design that we had was inspired by one we found on the internet, and we used our theory about it catching the air easily. We did have to make some improvements to it, to put our theory to the test. Our theory seemed to work well.

Evaluation
If we repeated this experiment, we should have tried different methods to make our parachute more aerodynamic. We started quite slow and didn’t have enough time to fully brainstorm different ideas. Other than that, I think we worked well as a team, we all did our part and our results were quite good.
The End! Thank you for listening!
Full transcript