Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
IB Biology Cloning
Transcript of IB Biology Cloning
2. The udder cells were cultured to switch their genes off and asleep by culturing them in a low nutrient medium.
3. In each egg, the nucleus was taken out by using a micro-pipette.
4. Egg cells were combined with the donor cells
5. The combined cells grew and later became embryos which were planted into a surrogate mother sheep.
6. Dolly is born A clone is a group of genetically identical organisms or a group of genetically identical cells derived from a single parent cell. Can clones naturally occur? Differentiated Nucleus A nucleus that has cells that haven't gone through differentiation and haven't developed in different ways. Why was the Differentiated Nucleus taken from an udder cell? Udder cells have substances in them that help blood clotting. If the differentiated cell's neucleus is taken away scientists can use it to help hemophiliacs who are suffereing from not being able to perform normal blood clotting. Ethical Considerations of Therapeutic cloning Advantages:
it can reduce suffering and save lives
cells are separated and taken away when the embryos have no nervous system which makes it pain free when the cells are removed Disadvantages:
every human embryo has the possibility of becoming a human being, so killing an embryo is like killing a human being
risk and danger of embryonic stem cells becoming tumor cells
more than enough embryos could be purposely made for financial benefit
1. Extract skin cells from the organism
2. Use 4 genes that have similarities and combine them with some chemicals to make stem cells that are not embryonic stem cells but something similar. It would permit for creation of cell lines that are genetically tailored to a patient. This could eliminate the concern of immune rejection, where the body's immune system identifies implanted cells or tissues as unknown and attacks them.