Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
In Cold Blood
Transcript of In Cold Blood
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin;
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest;
Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest.
If they just went straight they might go far;
They are strong and brave and true;
But they're always tired of the things that are;
And they want the strange and new. “‘Deal me out, baby,’ Dick said. ‘I’m a normal.’ And Dick meant what he said. He thought of himself as balanced, as sane as anyone—maybe a bit smarter than the average fellow, that’s all. But Perry—there was, in Dick’s opinion, ‘something wrong’ with Little Perry.” “The village of Holcomb stands on the high wheat plains of western Kansas, a lonesome area that other Kansans call ‘out there.’" "God offers us courage, love and hope even though we walk through the shadows of the valley of death...Jesus has never promised us we would not suffer pain or sorrow but He has always said He would be there to help us bear the sorrow and pain." - Reverend Cowan "And that," Mr. Helm testified the next day, "was the last I seen them. Nancy leading old Babe off to the barn. Like I said, nothing out of the ordinary." "In any event, Mr. Bell, entirely unaware of his guests' intentions, which included throttling him with a belt and leaving him robbed of his car, his money, and his life." Perry said, "Maybe it's just as well. Nuns are a bad luck bunch." "When your time comes, it comes. And tears won't save you."
-Myrt Clare "There's too much blood. There's blood on the walls."
-Nancy Ewalt "Nothing scares you," she said to Mr. Clutter. "I can't imagine you afraid. No matter what happened, you'd talk your way out of it." “I didn’t want to harm the man. I thought he was a very nice gentleman. Soft-spoken. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat.” - Perry "But on the whole, it was perfect. We hit the ball right out of the park. It's lost. And it's gonna stay lost. There isn't a single connection." - Dick “The crime was a psychological accident, virtually an impersonal act; the victims might as well have been killed by lightning. Except for one thing: they had experienced prolonged terror, they had suffered." "Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is." "Only now when I think back, I think somebody must have been hiding there. Maybe down among the trees. Somebody just waiting for me to leave." -Bobby Rupp “[Dick] was holding the knife. I asked him for it, and he gave it to me, and I said, ‘All right, Dick. Here goes.’ But I didn’t mean it. I meant to call his bluff, make him argue me out of it, make him admit he was a phony and a coward."
- Perry “When Smith attacked Mr. Clutter he was under a mental eclipse, deep inside a schizophrenic darkness.” "Although none of the journalists anticipated violence, several had predicted shouted abuse. But when the crowd caught sight of the murderers, with their escort of blue-coated highway patrolmen, it fell silent, as though amazed to find them humanly shaped." “I know it was wrong. One thing I never told you about the Clutter deal is this. Before I ever went to their house I knew there would be a girl there. I think the main reason I went there was not to rob but to rape the girl. Because I thought a lot about it. That is one reason why I never wanted to turn back when we started to. Even when I saw there was no safe.” - Dick