Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
WORD STRESS & VOWEL LENGTH
Transcript of WORD STRESS & VOWEL LENGTH
Rules for stress and vowel length
In every English word of more than one syllable, one syllable is stressed the most.
The vowel sound in the stressed syllable is extra long. It is the peak vowel
Listening for vowel length.
Stress in acronyms
Each letter in an acronym is pronounced separately, however the last letter usually is the most stressed
The two vowel rule with multi - syllable words
If there are two vowel letters in the stressed syllable of a word: The first vowel is pronounced with its alphabet sound and the second vowel is silent
There are exceptions as well such as: friend, believe etc. (p.20.G)
The one vowel rule for multi-syllable words
If there is only one vowel letter in the stressed syllable of a word, it is pronounced with its relative vowel sound.
attract, relative, filling, stopping, thunder
practice, sentence, missing, punish, electric