Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Yoga
Christina De Loera, Abby Mclure,
and Shannon Thompson Yoga What is yoga? So why is it appealing? NAMASTE: Traditional greeting of respect and thanks, spiritually and symbolically, Literally translated to "I bow to the divine in you."
PRANA: Life energy, force, or current. Energies finer than atoms with inherent intelligence
CHAKRAS: Center of radiating life force, between base of spine and crown of head, there are seven centers
ASANAS: Yoga postures involving gentle stretching to balance mind and body Understanding the language good question. - yoga is a spiritual, mental, and physical practice that dates back over 3,000 years
- the basic purpose of yoga was to gain a better understanding of the world
- originally credited as part of Hindu philosophy, but also found in Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism Today's yoga - The kind of yoga we practice today is called Hatha yoga, and was brought to the Western world by Hindu monks in the late 19th century
- Is known as the yoga of postures, and focuses on using body positions and meditation to attain health and purity of the body and mind
- This form of yoga was popularized in the 1980's as an alternative exercise form and has continued to increase in popularity It's a time to slow down and find your balance in your body and your mind
Health and Wellness
Transformations More Language YOGI: One who follows the path of yoga, female yogini
SATTVIC: Food that is fresh, pure and unadulturated
OM: Single sound mantra that signifies the unification of the body, mind, and spirit
MANTRA: Sacred mystic syllable, word or verse used in meditation to quiet the mind, and balance the inner body
MEDITATION: Practice of constant observation of the mind, through focus and stilling the mind in order to perceive the self There's something for everyone Different Styles Anusara
Prenatal Belzer, Sheila H. “The Appeal of Yoga; Or Why Everyone is Carrying a Mat!”
Hartford Hospital, 2006. Web. 3 Oct. 2012
"Yoga Dictionary - Yoga Terms and Definitions." Yoga Dictionary - Yoga Terms and Definitions. ABC of Yoga, n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2012. <http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yoga-dictionary.asp>. Works Cited Yoga Attire And Supplies Yoga Mat: Used for stability and safety; yoga mats help clear space both mentally and physically, boundaries are established so you can focus your energy on your body in that space. Clothing: Appropriate yoga attire should be loose and flexible, not baggy where it gets in the way. Should allow you to move freely, as some yoga positions require much flexibility. "Music Should be healing, music should uplift the soul, music should inspire; then there is no better way of getting closer to God of rising higher towards the spirit, of attaining spiritual perfection, than music, if it is rightly understood." - The Sufi Hazrat Kahn Healing Through Yoga & Music Music has been known to have such strong affects on our body, mind, and soul. Helping to balance throughout and focus on positive energy to help heal any pain or hurt, emotionally or physically. Feuerstein, Georg. "A Short History of Yoga." 4 Oct, 2012. http://www.finden.gr/asp/A%20Short%20History%20of%20Yoga.pdf Miller, Elise B. "ELISE BROWNING MILLER YOGA." ELISE BROWNING MILLER YOGA. N.p., 2003. Web. 01 Oct. 2012. <http://www.ebmyoga.com/>.
Drolet, Phil. "The Feel Good Philosophy to Yoga." TheFeelGoodLifestyle.com. N.p., 2012. Web. 01 Oct. 2012. <http://www.thefeelgoodlifestyle.com/the-feel-good-philosophy-to-yoga-the-8-minute-morning-yoga-routine.html>.
"Yoga." Main Page. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Oct. 2012. <http://www.neurosoup.com/yoga_main.htm>.
KinoYoga. "Kino Yoga Science of Healing Plum TV Miami Beach." YouTube. YouTube, 26 Nov. 2011. Web. 01 Oct. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr00Obfuhes>.