Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Semi Colon
By Sophie and Rebekah
What is a Semi-Colon?
A Semi Colon is stronger than a comma and weaker than a period
There are three different ways to use a Semi-Colon
1. Use a Semi-Colon between two sentences that are very closely related
2. Use a Semi-Colon before "however" and similar words (these are called conjunctive adverbs) that show a relationship between two complete sentences
3. Use a Semi-Colon between clauses or phrases that contain a lot of commas
Good: I have ice cream for dessert every night; my favorite flavor is chocolate.
Bad: I hardly ever read; my dogs name is Hector.
GOOD: I hardly ever exercise; consequently, I get fat.
BAD: I watched a movie last night, meanwhile; my brother took my dog for a walk.
GOOD: Megan's favorite fruits are peaches, grapes and pears; Josh's favorite fruits are oranges, grapefruits and mangoes; Savannah's favorite fruits are strawberry's, apples and pineapples.
BAD: Laura's favorite movies are Finding Nemo and Peter Pan, Jenna's favorite movies are Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises, Cameron's favorite movies are Star Wars and Bugs Life.
How to remember
A period is the strongest.
A comma is the weakest.
A semi-colon is in between.