Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Rabbit anaesthesia 101
Transcript of Rabbit anaesthesia 101
- Anaesthetic risks
- What makes a rabbit?
- Which protocol? Sources: http://www.scas.org.uk/1825/facts-and-figures.html; http://www.freegreatpicture.com/animal-collection/cute-rabbit-20482; http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/destructiverabbits Rabbit Anaesthesia 101 Fourth most common UK pet
Commonly sedated/anaesthetised... - Radiography
- Dentistry Rabbits want to die... - A prospective cohort study
- 117 veterinary practices between 2002-04
- 8209 anaesthetised/sedated rabbits Anaesthetic mortality risk: Source: Brodbelt et al. (2008) Vet Anaes. Anal. Rabbits are small... a) Large SA:V ratio
b) High metabolic rate
c) Low blood volume: 55-70ml/kg http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/995/760287.JPG a) small lung field
b) diaphragm compression
c) subclinical Pasteurellosis
d) respiratory depression
- Oxygen delivery Hindgut fermenters... ILEUS fluid accumulation hypovolaemia tympany hypoglycaemia - Fluid maintenance 4ml/kg/h
- Adequate analgesia
- Do not fast
- Metoclopramide (0·5 mg/kg SC q8h)
- Syringe feed & offer food Source: Longley (2008) Anaesthesia of Exotic Pets Source: http://img2.etsystatic.com/006/0/6970019/il_fullxfull.376462206_fvhg.jpg Anaesthetic gas delivery... a) Mask
c) Laryngeal mask - 4/6 PPV gastric tympany
- 1/6 refluxed Sources: Bateman et al. (2005) Vet. Anae. & Anal.; Grint (2009) JSAP; Martinez et al. (2009) Vet Record Intubation a) Blind b) Visualisation - narrow gape; long incisors & fleshy tongue; narrow glottis; laryngospasm common - 53/54; 43/50; 51/94; Sources: Martinez et al. (2009) Vet. Record; Aeschbacher & Webb (1993); Grint and Murison (2008) ...Anaesthetic protocols Volatile Agent induction Apnoea - e.g. 0.25mg/kg, 10mg/kg respectively
- Hypoxia: preventilate with oxygen
- Opioid exacerbates hypoxia
- Wait 40 mins before reversing medetomidine a) medetomidine & ketamine +/- butorphanol/buprenorphine SC Sources: Hvedenqvist et al. (2002) Vet. Anae. & Anal.; Kim et al. (2004) Exp. Anim. a) medetomidine & ketamine
+/- butorphanol/buprenorphine SC b) fentanyl & fluanisone IM
+/- midazolam/propofol induction - Vasodilation: ease of catheterisation
- Good sedative protocol
- Fentanyl reversible Propofol vs midazolam 54 rabbit neuterings
No difference in ease of intubation
Propofol: better recovery Fentanyl & fluanisone Source: Source: Brodbelt et al. (2008) Vet Anae. Anal.; http://budgie-care.com/images/gallery/4.jpg 1 in 6 budgerigars died under anaesthesia Rabbit lungs... ...rabbits are small - Large SA:V ratio
- High metabolic rate Hypoglycaemia
- Low blood volume
20% blood loss = 11ml in 1kg rabbit Source: Martinez et al. (2009) Vet. Record Source: http://www.nationalgeographicstock.com/comp/04/445/1097688.jpg - 6% at induction
- 30% during maintenance
- 64% in the 48h post-op ...any questions?