Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
City of Bones Monomyth
Transcript of City of Bones Monomyth
Clary overcomes this trial by allowing Brother Jeremiah to attempt to go through her memories.
• Brother Jeremiah was unable to retrieve Clary’s blocked memories. They are sent to Magus Bane, the “High Warlock of Brooklyn”, who had originally placed the block in her mind as requested by her mother for her own safety. While Magus, Clary, Jace, Alec and Isabelle discuss and retrieve Clary’s memories, Simon drinks a potion that turns him into a rat. He then finds himself in an abandoned hotel inhabited by vampires. i. “’You must imagine the staircase the way it once was, with the gas lamps burning all up and down the steps, like fireflies in the dark, and the balconies full of people.’ They were filled with people now, row on row of vampires with their dead-white faces, their red stretched mouths, staring bemusedly downward” (Clare 117). As they enter the hotel to rescue rat-Simon, they encounter a clan of vampires. They hold the leader―Raphael―hostage in an attempt to offer a trade for an unharmed Raphael for rat-Simon. They quickly and effectively strategized a way to escape the hotel alive with rat-Simon when Clary’s mother’s close friend, Luke, barges in with his wolf pack to help defend Clary and Jace. All three succeed with escaping by flying a demon energy powered motorcycle away from the hotel. • Madame Dorthea becomes an Abbadon. An Abbadon is a Greater demon. The Abbadon was clever and killed Madame Dorthea in order to take form in the real world and tried to kill Clary, Jace, Alec and Isabelle in order to obtain the Mortal Cup. i. “Flat on her stomach on the carpet, she lifted her head in time to see the rushing dark thing strike Madame Dorothea, who screamed, thrusting her arms upward. Rather than knocking her down, the dark thing wrapped her like a shroud, its blackness seeming to seep into her like ink sinking into paper. Her back humped monstrously, her whole shape elongating as she rose and rose into the air, her bulk stretching and reforming” (Clare151). ii. “I am Abbadon. I am the Demon of the Abyss” (Clare152). These quotes show another trial Clary, Jace, Simon and Isabelle have to face after retrieving the Mortal Cup. Since its powers can be used for both angelic and demonic purposes, in the wrong hands (Valentine or his demons) the Cup’s power could be deadly. 4. The Supreme Ordeal •After receiving the Mortal Cup, Valentine kidnaps Jace to his lair in an old, abandoned smallpox hospital on Roosevelt Island. i.“And with that, he stepped through the curtain of glowing air. For a moment he himself seemed to shimmer, as if he stood underwater. Then he vanished, taking Jace with him” (Clare 160). • Luke, Clary and the Downtown Werewolf Pack manage get inside Valentine's lair; however Luke and Clary enter the hospital while the rest of the pack fights off Valentine’s army of Forsaken. While Luke is distracted, Clary finds Jace and Valentine. Valentine reveals to them that he is actually Jace's father as well, which makes them siblings, shocking and horrifying both Jace and Clary, who realize that they have fallen in love. ii.“How did you find me?”
“’Luke,’ she replied. ‘I came with Luke. To rescue you.’” (Clare 185).
iii.“Jocelyn is your mother, Jonathan. And ClaryClary is your sister” (Clare 188).
It seems unreal and both Clary and Jace find it difficult to accept that they are related. Clary manages to convince Jace that even though Valentine is his father, Valentine is still a murderous monster. 5. Return •Luke then returns to fight Valentine, along with Jace's help, but Valentine escapes to the Shadowhunter capital, Idris, where he has now hidden the Mortal Cup, which can used to create Shadowhunters. i. “Valentine had struck at Luke, who had met his blow with an ear-shattering parry. Their blades ground apart, and now they were moving across the floor in a blur of feints and slashes” (Clare 192).
ii. “’The Cup’s in Idris, I told you,’ said Valentine, his gaze shifting past Luke” (Clare 196).
iii. “And with a shocking suddenness he swung his fist toward Jace. Clary cried out, but the blow never connected: instead it struck the surface of the Portal between them with a sound like a thousand fragile shattering things” (Clare 198).
Jace and Clary both meet up at the Institute to discuss about their romantic interests. 6. Reward • Clary finds her mother (who has put herself in a coma) and she is taken to a hospital. Clary finds her mother, who is in a coma caused by a potion, and takes her to a hospital
• Alec is healed after losing a lot of blood and suffering from demonic poisoning after he was critically injured during the attack of the Abbadon while helping Clary get the Mortal Cup.
i. “Clary was about to protest when Alec swung into the entry way on a pair of crutches. . . Otherwise he looked remarkably healthy for someone who’d nearly died four days before” (Clare 204). • Jace is alive. City of Bones Monomyth By: Dainelle B