Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Ideology
Cameron used the peoples need for change to fuel Avatar and it message.
A nirvana like society taken over by tyrants/dictators(humans) and restored to nirvana.
The ideology was not based after America's need for Revolution, but reiterates the importance of the voice of the people and the striking down of political leaders who are cruel. Although the Navi(blue people) take back the planet and way of life. The fact is that they are at a technological disadvantage, and the possibility of them being conquered again is high.
This is a narrative of a Revolution, and not a romance between characters although it does exist. If believed to be a love story, those believers are discourses of a romantic film.
Major point of this analysis is to move FROM the text back to the culture
i.e.- Culture of epic demanding spectacle with depth
Films hold true to the cultural status, with reoccurring conditions or the HEGEMONY of a film
-This process of recognizing repeating social/political patterns should be viewed as reworked rather than repeated.
- Although denied by most, Ideology is culturally constructed through conscious and unconscious perception "Ideology is usually defined as a body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture." See the relationship between cultural texts. Compare contradictory texts without bias Once the socially dominant position wins, there is a crack in the text for ideology.
Take for example the death of a main character that seems unmotivated. The power of ideology lies within myth, visual styles, and conventions. Resolve shows personal equilibrium(guy gets girl) But most importantly political(Humans lose) Moral stand point No warrant....No problem.
Morally correct for a copper? Moral,political and social complexities are often obscured within the narrative
i.e Gangster Squad and its representation of morally driven choices of police, whether they are good or bad. The character's reversal is essential to a film's ideology.
The end of such movies as Trainspotting, the ideological position is pushed back to something not originally endorsed.
i.e.- Ewan McGregor's character originally wanted to stop using, and get clean. Then in the end the ideological motive is...
Problems in ideologically analyzing certain films and genres. Ideology has a conflict with realism.
The spectacle is minimized to portray real life...i.e- Camera movement, lighting etc.
Realist films are not subject to being criticized as far as dominant beliefs go because the beliefs themselves are what drive the film and give it sensibility.