Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Transcript of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
2. Cleaning Agent
What is it?
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
'Water' - H2O
'Oxygen' - O2
'Carbon Dioxide' - CO2
Main ingredient in detergent, is also found in toothpaste, shampoo and skincare products.
Fats (oils & grease) do not dissolve in water, so how can we clean oil and grease off our clothes and out of our hair?
How does it work?
This is a single Sodium Lauryl Sulfate molecule:
'Lipo-' : fat (oil & grease)
'Hydro-' : water
'-philic' : friends (3)
How it works...
'Sodium Lauryl Sulfate' - NaC12H25SO4
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is toxic, but in low concentrations (<1%) helps remove oil and grease from clothing and hair. (1)
That's where Sodium Lauryl Sulfate came in!
1. Drugs.com. Sodium lauryl sulfate [Internet]. c2014 [updated 2014 Apr 15; cited 2014 Apr 28]. Available from http://www.drugs.com/inactive/sodium-lauryl-sulfate-124.html
2. Wikipedia. Sodium dodecyl sulfate [Internet]. c2014 [updated 2014 Apr 14; cited 2014 Apr 28]. Available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dodecyl_sulfate
3. Kumar S. What Is The Difference Between Hydrophilic and Lipophilic? [Internet]. c2013 [updated 2013 Oct 17; cited 2014 Apr 28]. Available from http://www.raisingamadscientist.com/lipophilic-versus-hydrophilic/
4. Alberts B, Bray D, Hopkin K, Johnson A, Lewis J, Raff M, et al. Essential Cell Biology. 4th ed. New York: Garland Science; 2014.
Year 8 Science
There is audio in this presentation, please ensure your audio device is turned on and at a suitable level before continuing.