Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Introduction to Database Theory and Microsoft Access
Transcript of Introduction to Database Theory and Microsoft Access
Tiffany Tawzer, NN/LM GMR
The world runs on them
Content Management Systems
Integrated Library Systems
Health Information Technology
What is a Database?
Persistent storage of organized data
Databases have evolved as technology, need, and ideas changed
What is a Relational Database?
Links data based on relationships
Entity-relationship (ER) model
WikiMedia Commons by RobH CC/SA
Something we want to describe.
A characteristic of an entity.
A single instance of an entity with all its attributes.
May also be called a "row" or "tuple."
Collection of all records of an entity.
Links between entities, attributes, and tables
Attribute or group of attributes that is unique for every instance of an entity
Why Microsoft Access?
Relational Database Management System (RDMS)
Software or collection of software, often with a graphical interface, designed to create and manipulate relational databases
File Maker Pro
Open Office Base
…many, many more
Types of Relationships
Wikimedia commons user Mattes. Public domain.