Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Single Cell Protein
Transcript of Single Cell Protein
What is an
SINGEL CELL PROTEINS
they are proteins that are derived from cultures single-celled organisms.
Single-cell protein develops through fermentation of microbes
They are used as a protein-rich food substitute or a food supplement.
a reaction vessel where fermentation occurs
How is it used?
- Once an industrial fermenter gets going, it
down the reaction to keep temperature at
-require a pH probe as we are trying to keep the pH level at the optimum rate.
-Overall, the fermenter is to keep the
optimum growth conditions
for the microorganisms so it is able to produce the product
Industrial Fermenters machines that allow us to grow microorganisms on a
These machines, which are usually about 7-9 feet tall, are able to contain up to
200,000 litres of culture
the cells are carefully monitored to ensure that they are always in
and are always provided with nutrients.
They are usually made of
, and this is because as the microorganisms ferment, they usually produce
, which will eventually eat away (corrode) the wall of ordinary metals.
Why do industries manufacture our product?
based on varying amino acid combinations.
high protein content
They can utilize a wide range of
such as carbon sources which helps the removal of waste products.
that have high yield and good compositions can be cultured and produced in large amounts easily.
Quality of production is
because it does not rely on climate or weather.
- The cooling jacket keeps the microorganisms at the optimum temperature, as a lot of heat is produced through fermentation
- The area where the nutrients enter the fermenter
- Microorganisms are stirred with the nutrients to ensure that they do not fall to the bottom of the fermenter and keeps the air mixed.
- There are temperature and pH probes in the fermenter to maintain optimal conditions.
Sterile Air Supply
- An essential part to an industrial fermenter to supply clean air for the microorganisms to successfully respire.
- This is where the product is received and collected.
List of micro-organisms used for SCP production
to prevent contamination of microorganisms.
Aseptic (sterile) conditions prevents them from spoilage.
The product will be 'ruined' without this process
Single cell protein is produced by the
Thank you for watching
Stephen, Coco, Alif, Jiayi
yr10 Nov 2013