Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
African American History- The Middle Colonies
Transcript of African American History- The Middle Colonies
- Both religions tried to convince people that owning other people, regardless of their skin color, was against God's law.
- In 1688, the Quakers in Germantown, PA declared the first official protest in North America.
- The Germans were appalled that Christians owned slaves.
- No resident of a German religious settlement (Quaker or Mennonite) ever took part in slavery. Treatment of the Slaves - Slaves in the Middle Colonies were treated just as badly as they were in the South.
- A graveyard for slaves was found in Manhattan in 1991 by construction workers.
- Bones were sent to Howard University in Washington D.C for further examination.
- Examinations showed that slaves were literally worked to death.
-Skeletons were found with skin abnormalities, broken bones and deformed muscles.
- Many skeletons were of children less than 6 months old which showed that some slaves lived very short lives. Slavery in the Middle Colonies - Consisted of: Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York. - Slavery was permitted but not the center of the economy like it was in the South. - Economy was based on trade and manufacturing. - No plantations; Slaves worked in construction, factories and lumber camps. - Masons= shaped and placed stone for buildings.
- Shipwrights= built ships
-Goldsmiths= shaped and worked gold for jewelry
-Glaziers= shaped and placed glass for windows - Many objected slavery in the Middle Colonies.
Indentured Servants were preferred.
-Indentured Servants were people who were hired for a certain period of time in exchange for passage to a colony and a place to stay.