Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Miners Den ~ Silver
Transcript of Miners Den ~ Silver
Silver is a chemical element with the chemical symbol Ag and atomic number 47.It possesses the highest electrical conductivity of any known element and the highest thermal conductivity of any metal. Its melting point is 916.8 c°. It is used in many different ways including:
- solar panels
- dentistry (fillings and teeth)
- mirrors and much more
How is Silver obtained from Galena?
In Australia Galena is a Mixture that provides 2 very useful minerals, Lead and Silver.
The process used to extract Galena is many steps of physical experiments:
- The ore is pounded into small fragments using hammer crushers
- It's further pounded in a Jaw Crusher
- Next the vibrating cone crusher polarizes the remaining ore into a powder like substance
- The powder is washed in a washery using froth flotation to remove the other minerals in the rock.
Most of the Silver is found in the silver-lead bearing mineral called Galena. Galena isn't a pure silver bearing mineral. It also has Lead in it. Galena is 87% Lead and 0.8% up to 5% Silver.
How is the Mineral
obtained from the Ore
A Silver Block
1. The dry silver precipitate is put into a cup or a cupel.
2. It is then put into VERY hot furnace (about 950º).
3. Inside the furnace the mixture is then blasted with hot air to melt the precipitate.
4. Once removed from the oven the mixture is poured into a mould.
5. A worker will then scrape off all the waste from the top.
Within 5 minutes the molten silver is cooled and hardened. What is left is a silver block.The mining company then sells the bar to a refinery where is it then further purified.