Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
US History: Chapter 1 Section 4: European Societies Around 1
Transcript of US History: Chapter 1 Section 4: European Societies Around 1
European Social Order
-Communities based on hierarchy- based on rank
- Monarchs & Nobles held most wealth & power
- Peasants- majority, on bottom
- Most stayed where they were born
- Artisans & merchants able to move- created & traded goods for money
- Life centered around nuclear family- mom, dad, kids
- Gender determined jobs. Men- labor, women-kids and household chores
Christianity Shapes European Outlook
Roman Catholic Church- dominant religious institution. Leader- Pope- lots of power- political & spiritual
- Call to convert others spurred Europe to reach out beyond borders to to defend & spread faith
Crusades- 1096-1270- series of military expeditions in Middle East to spread Christianity
- Failed to rescue Holy Lands but had 3 consequences
1. Sparked increase in trade
2. Weakened power of European nobles- allowed monarchs to sponsor overseas exploration to increase wealth & power
3. Shrunk power of Pope
Disagreements over church authority in part led to Reformation in 1500's- divided Christianity between Catholicism &
Change Comes to Europe
Start of 1400's- European societies still recovering from disasters
- 1314-1316- heavy rain/disease killed crops & livestock- peasants died
- 1340's- series of plagues killed 25 mil
Crusades open up Asian trade routes- new luxuries- silk, procelain, tea, rugs
By late 1400's- four major Western European nations taking shape-Portugal, Spain, France, & England
Renasissance- spread of new ideas and ways of thinking. Encouraged people to think of themselves as individuals, to have confidenc in human capabilities, & to seek fame through achievements.