Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of SCIENCE FIELD
Tiatira a/p Bah Konjing
Dang Qian Lei
Introduces Sample of Writing Documents in Science Writing and Scientific Writing
The Elements of Writing in both Science Writing and Scientific Documents
What is Science?
) – knowledge
observation and experimentation to describe and explain natural phenomena
- writing about science for the popular media
- audience (general or public)
- examples (National Geographic, Discovery Magazine)
- technical writing by a scientist
- audience (peers or other scientists)
- examples (journals, lab report, memos etc)
General style of Writing
depend on the level of knowledge of the audiences
sometimes, hard to understand
is a hodgepodge of little words
- biology, medical, nature, physic, chemistry, animal, sport, etc.
date of the memos
break the memo's into section
include the list at the end if references arise in the memo
honest and forthright
avoid passive voice
active voice instead
avoid using be, at all cost, esp. conjuction
- Reveals science to world
- Give information to people based on age
- Help to increase people lifestyle
- Discuss current issue / tell stories
A bit of passive voice and active voice as well
- References and links
communicate exactly what occurred in an experiment
discuss the results clearly
scientists/science's students should be able to read the report/information based on format
Used required format
Necessary - Title
Needed/Common - Tables
- Method and Materials
Methods and Materials/ Equipments
Materials and Methods
Format of scientific thesis paper
2 advantages Materials and Methods
- avoid repetition
- cleans the way for the results of related experiments to be presented
can make for interesting
engaging casual reading
complex, effective, explain, close
familiar and straightforward
scientists are as careful about their language as poets are
unfortunately, poets seeks strike the emotions of his readers while scientists appeal to reason and defend a position
to defend themselves, argue their statements
squirrel language sets in when the author writes cautiously without a good reason
In order to resolve such issues in superstring theory it is
necessary to understand the deep principles on which the theory is based.
In the sense
the development of superstring theories is in sharp contrast to the development of general relativity.
In order to resolve such issues [in superstring theory] scientists
the deep principles on which the theory is based because [explanation]. Since it. . . [explanation], the development of superstring theories contrasts sharply with the development of general relativity.
- the result is weak and vague prose
- the way to hegde your bets in case some futures disaster or new data falsifies a claim
The style of writing
- no personal opinions
- concise and formal
- use past tense
- paying attention to grammar and spelling
Writing in PASSIVE VOICE
What is passive voice?
“Voice” refers to the way the verb is used in the sentence. Remember that a sentence has to have a
, and many verbs require
e.g active voice:
Babe hit the baseball.
In passive voice, the
of the sentence also
receives the action
of the action is someone else
e.g passive voice:
The baseball is hit by Babe.
who did the action
part of the scientific point of view
observe and record as objectively as possible, avoiding personal bias by removing ourselves
clarifies procedures and descriptions so they can be easily reproduced and compared.
Why Passive Voice?
Examples of Passive Voice in scientific writing
200mL of distilled water was poured into a 500 mL beaker.
poured 200mL of distilled water in a beaker. (active voice)
Pour 200mL water in a beaker. (direction/command)
The covered crucible was mounted on a ring stand.
put the crucible on a ring stand. (active voice)
Set the crucible on a ring stand. (direction/command)
The temperature was initially measured at 75°C.
measured the temperature at 75°C. (active voice)
Measure and write down the temperature. (direction/command)
- If you wish to use an abbreviation for a chemical or generic name, write the full name the first time it appears in the text.
e.g : Glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate is converted to 1,3-
- some scientific writing will not mention the full name of the abbreviation
- avoid using contractions such as don’t, can’t, wasn’t, etc. in scientific works
Idols of Science Writing become habit among the scientists
complex sentences are more precise and intelligent than simple ones
passive voice is more objective than active voice because active voice involves stating the agent, who is often a human and humans introduce subjectivity
descriptive prose is imprecise and unscientific because descriptions rely on adjectives which are often unquantifiable
claims about scientific fact must always be cautious, thus using very cautious language-squirrel language-in scientific prose is always prudent
be as wary of innovation or taking chances in language as you are in a lab
revision is unnecessary because language is transparent
Geological and Scientific Terms
Good Scientific Thinking Can Lead to bad Science writing
Council of Biology Editors. (1994). Scientific style and format: the CBE manual for authors, editors, and publishers (6th ed.). New York: Cambridge University Press.
Day, R. A. (1998). How to write and publish a scientific paper (5th ed.). Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press.
Day, R. A. (1995). Scientific English: a guide for scientists and other professionals. (2nd ed.) Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press.
Serious and matter-of-fact (without any personal opinions)
concise and formal language
use past tense
strictly paying attention to grammar and spelling