Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Useful Tools in Enhancing ELL Students Learnings (Part Deux)
Transcript of Useful Tools in Enhancing ELL Students Learnings (Part Deux)
Useful Tools in Teaching Ell Students
By: Mustapha Benaoui
Basic Routines Not academic; just behavioral
Routines for academic engagement/development
Routines for producing Successful, academic work
1- Students Panels
2- Why students need structured and academic work habits?
6- Class Environment
Not academic; just behavioral
Providing academic access
by Ms. Marks
These routines need to be reinforced in many ways:
Verbal/ corrections acknowledgment Visual clarification of expectations (e.g. poster, syllabus acknowledgment through grades)
Have (and consistently grades) daily or weekly
Explain the bathroom policy (your discretion)
Explain lateness policy
Clearly note what materials students should have
Explain how to get missing materials
Describe what it means to be ready for class
Explain what should happen at the beginning and the end of the class (behaviorally)
• Have a/ go the daily objective• Display/go over the agenda
• Record homework clearly and in a consistent location/manner
• Teach how to ask questions (both verbally as well as linguistically)
• Have activities to work on when the immediate assignment is completed
• Clearly allocate a place to turn in homework
• Explain what students should do when absent• Have a consistent way of giving feedback; if the feedback is primarily grade-based, explain how the student can keep track of their grades
• Clearly indicate (visually in the classroom) and reinforce verbally during class, how and when can you find you for extra help.
Routine that explain
How to take good notes
How to format a paper
How to construct a paper of different kinds (e.g. journal entries, research papers, etc..)
How to produce other content/class-specific products (e.g. Problem of the week, lab reports)Other common academic metacognitive strategies
• Prewriting (brainstorming/drafting)
• Using the textbook
• Using/creating graphing organizers
. How to use tools available in the classroom
• How to use a graphing calculator
• How to look up words in a dictionary
2- Why we need structured and academic work habits?