Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Origin and History of SEXISM
Transcript of The Origin and History of SEXISM
The Origin and History of SEXISM
Sexism Before Christ
2200 BC Egypt (The Instruction of Ptah-hotep)
-She is a fertile field for her lord,Do not contend with her in court,Keep her from power, restrain her...
Bible (St.Paul, Timothy 2:12)
-I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
200 BC ( he Code of Manu, an authoritative Indian collection of rules of life)
-In childhood a female must be subject to her father, in youth to her husband,when her lord is dead to her sons; a woman must never be independent
Early on Sexism ,A.D
Koran (4:34) , Men have authority over women because Allah has made the one superior to the other
This was the start of stereotypes towards women being backed up by science.
1.physically smaller = less stamina
2.menstruation=physically incapacitated monthly
3.reproduction system=nervous system was weaker
Because women were stereotyped as a "weaker creature" they were seen as more prone to sickness and disease during this time making women the face of advertisements for medicine.
Early 20th Century
Mid 20th Century view on women
Sexism becomes recognized, The definition of sexism is established
Sexism in the 70's-90's
- Sexism lessens in the eyes of society as women begin to remove themselves from the role of the caretakers to making an income for the home.
-More than half of college graduates are women, the begin to enter higher ranking professions
- Education for women at this time give them the feeling of liberation
Music Videos in today's society continue to portray women as sex objects
Witch Hunts of the Middle Ages
-One of the earliest forms of violence directed towards all women(not just wives) because of there sex
-6th century, at the Synod of Macon, bishops debated whether a woman is really human at all.
- Estimated that nine million women were tortured and burnt at the stake
- If her nose was too long, she had red hair, a humped back, was exceptionally beautiful or intelligent. The most important characteristic of witches was thought to be their lechery.
Lechery : Excessive or offensive sexual desire
Worl War 1
- Women start doing the same jobs as men in the army for WW1
- This begins to empower women to fight for there independence
- First wave of women social movements begin
- Women begin advertising birth control which would begin to give women economic freedom if they could control whether to raise children or not
- 1920 the 19th Amendment is passed to give women voting rights along side men
-The government and society begins to lessen there sexist views against women and men doing the same things
This was the time when women started faceing sexism in advertisements
Because of the increase in technology with television and advertisements women started being portrayed as sex symbols in the 80's especially...
was created making the display of music videos more accessible, open to the public, and well known. Majority of people in those music videos were half naked women