Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Why is poop brown?
Transcript of Why is poop brown?
After you chew your food, your tongue pushes it down into the esophagus.
Helps your food travel to the stomach.
The stomach has enzymes and digestive juices to digest the food.
One of its main enzymes is Hydrochloric acid.
After four hours, the food, now called chyme, moves to the small intestine.
finger shaped linings on its walls called villi.
It absorbs nutrients
The chyme is then passed to the large intestine.
The liver breaks down chyme
Uses an enzyme called bile.
Bile is used to break down fats
The pancreas also produces enzymes that break down proteins and fats in chyme.
The large intestine absorbs water and other nutrients from the chyme.
The anus expels stool from the body
look at your poop
and wonder wh
y it's always b
rown. But, don't be
A lack of color variation is
Produces bile and byproduct stercobilin
Causes poop to be brown
Why is poop brown?
- produces bilirubin (pigment) when it breaks down red blood cells
- bilirubin is eaten by bacteria in the intestines
- blood cell iron + bilirubin turns brown and combines with the poop
FUN FACT #1
The liver is the organ that actually creates the bile that determines your poop's color.
FUN FACT #2
The stomach/abdominal pain can be triggered when your poop is different colors
FUN FACT #3
Too much mucus in the stool can cause it to turn green!!
FUN FACT #4
Anal infections or bleeding of the colon can cause red or even black poop.
WHICH ORGANS MAKE OUR POOP BROWN?