Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
AS Level English Language and Literature - Grice's Maxims
Transcript of AS Level English Language and Literature - Grice's Maxims
Give the most helpful
of information. Not too much, not too little.
The Maxim of Relation
Be relevant. Communicate what is appropriate to the situation
The Maxim of Manner
Put what you say in the clearest, briefest, and most orderly manner.
The Maxim of Quality
information - Do not say what you believe to be false.
AS Level English Language and Literature - 2015/16
The Cooperative Principle
When people are having a conversation, they work together to make sure that communication happens as smoothly as possible.
This means that we follow some unwritten rules about what we say to each other, and how we say it.
Paul Grice tried to identify these rules, and came up with:
The 4 Gricean Maxims
Breaking the Rules
Who is telling the story?
What sort of Character do you think they are?