Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Subject: Municipal Waste
Transcript of Subject: Municipal Waste
design by Dóri Sirály for Prezi
Subject: Municipal Waste
Garbage or trash contains everyday items used & thrown away by the public
Collection entails gathering & transporting the waste to a processing facility, transfer station, or landfill
Local government authorities are responsible for managing collection & disposal preserving health, well-being, & quality of life for the city's population
City population > 500,000
Garbage workers found "loafing on the job"
Mayor promises to experiment with different methods of collection
A report was never completed on different collection methods
Garbage workers are caught again, so mayor says to the Council that in two weeks conclusions of the study will be presented along with a proposed plan of action
• Rear loading packer truck, three tote barrels, a truck driver, and three collectors
• Collectors would physically empty each barrel and place empty barrel back on sidewalk
• Total average weight collected (5 days) = 45,500 lbs.
• Pick up costs (excluding labor): $110,859.84/yr
117.39 crews needed to serve city
• Labor costs: $13,013,837 annual labor cost for the low density residential area of the city
TOTAL ANNUAL COST FOR ALTERNATIVE ONE: $13,124,696.80
Rear-loading truck retrofitted with hydraulic dumpers
Labor required: one driver and two collectors
Weekly average performance;
Total average weight collected (5 days) = 46,700 lbs.
Pick up costs (excluding labor): $84,360.64/yr
96.54 crews needed to serve city
Labor costs: $8,144,176 annual labor cost for the low density residential area of the city
TOTAL ANNUAL COST FOR ALTERNATIVE THREE: $8,228,536.64
Alternative 2 Wins!
With Incremental Application Modification
Solid-Waste Collection Methods
Rachel, Andrew, Suzette, Mram, Jenni, Jamie, Asmahan, & Zam
Side-loading vehicle with Karts set out to street by residents.
Labor required: One driver & one collector.
Weekly average performance:
Total average weight collected (5 days)= 43,200 lbs
Pick up cost (excluding labor): $57,861.44/ yr
76.89 crews needed to serve city
Labor costs: $4,448,966 annual labor cost for the low-density residential area of the city
TOTAL ANNUAL COST FOR ALTERNATIVE TWO: $4,506,827.44
Factors of the issue that will impact the outcome
generalization of study area
"The city's current solid waste collection method is inefficient; therefore, the city should find an alternative collection method that is cheap, effective, and equitable, but also politically viable. "