Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Management and Leadership
Transcript of Management and Leadership
- strategic, long term, upper mgt
- Accomplish goals (Dr. B) assigning tasks
- Efficient use of resources, POS
- Trad. HR, scheduling - ALL levels
- influencing - create encouraging environment
- Quality assurance, assess performance goals against standards, ROI, feedback reporting
Management and Leadership
Traditional Management ROLES
- Immediate, short term results. Give orders without explanation, my way or the highway
- Enforce regulations, resis change, act as caretakers of the status quo
- focus on participative process, important to generate buy-in, everyone has a voice, use delegation to develop higher levels of job satisfaction.
Management + Leadership
Creating a vision
Inspiring others to follow
- ribbon cutting, "be seen",
- acts to create productive atmosphere at work
- Networks with peers and others outside of the org's vertical chain of command
- Gathers information formally and informally
- Passes info to staff that wouldn't ordinarily have access to it
- Sends information through speeches, letters, reports, or memos, to people outside the department or organization
- Initiates change
- Resolves conflicts among staff members and problems that arise in day to day operations
- Distributes resources to achieve org goals and dept objectives
- Bargains with unions, contracts with suppliers, and sets goals with individual staff members
Factors that influence?
Can the job require style changes?
Clear vision of where the org should be heading
Attractive and compelling
A long-term dream that stretches and motivates
Reach hearts and minds, raise ambitions
Be a catalyst for action (must be owned by as many people as possible - a shared view of the future)
Not static - it lives - can never be "reached" - little more than an empty dream until widely shared and accepted
6 Qualities: vision and articulation, sensitivity to others' needs, environmental sensitivity, unconventional behavior, taking personal risks, and upsetting the status quo.
Directing --> Coaching--> Supporting --> Delegating
- Think ATM - Leader/Follower exchange - workers exchange level of performance for certain types of rewards (salary, bonus, time off)
- visionary and inspirational build a sense of ownership
A - Top down leadership
Z - Leaders across the board on different levels - collaborative goal-setting and share leadership