Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
GRACE GINTING (SOCIOLINGUISTIC = CODE CHOICE, CODE SWITCHING AND
Transcript of GRACE GINTING (SOCIOLINGUISTIC = CODE CHOICE, CODE SWITCHING AND
bilingual or multilingual?
What aspects of context influence
the choice of
When is it appropriate for
a bilingual person to
When in a multicultural setting do you switch codes?
If yes/no, why?
Why do you think some people do not code switch even in a multicultural setting?
Higher Job Oppotunities
Make more friends
Better task switching capacities
FOR YOUR AWESOME ATTENTION!! :)
- When you know the person you are speaking to, is uncomfortable with the language you use.
- You find other language has a better word or phrase to express a particular idea.
- To respect others
- To avoid miscommunication
- To make an efficient communication
Easier to travel
- Public speaking
2. WHAT IS CODE SWITCHING?
A technical term in communication that refers to the phenomenon of changing languages, dialects, or even accents (Martin & Nakayama 2013).
There are three kinds of people do not code switch even in a multicultural setting.
They respect others
They want to exclude someone
in their conversation.
They do not want others
to listen to what they are saying.
GROUP 4 :
GRACE CLARA LYDIA BR GINTING
CODE SWITCHING AND CODE MIXING
Code Choice :
It describes bilingualism as an individual's ability to embody different norms, to act efficiently in different contexts, and to exist socially in different codes.
1.WHAT IS CODE CHOICE?
WHAT IS CODE MIXING?
code-mixing are part of the Study of Bilingualism in Sociolinguistics which have become a very popular language, it is to be an influence for smooth communication in Indonesia because many Batak Toba and Mandailing speakers who realize code-switching and code-mixing using other languages such as Indonesian and English in a particular conversation in everyday life.
Code-Mixing: The use of two or more language by putting in/inserting linguistic elements in one language into other language consistently. In code-mixing, dependency features are marked by the relationship between the language role and function. If the speaker mixes his/her code/language, then it must be asked who the speaker is: his/her social background, level of education, religion, etc. A speaker who masters many languages will have chance to mix code more than the other speaker who only masters one or two languages.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR AWESOME ATTENTION!!
Code-choice, Code-switching and code-mixing are part of the Study of Bilingualism in Sociolinguistics which have become a very popular language,
Why we need to study for smooth communication and prevent misunderstandings?
1. The method that is applied in this reseach is qualitative research, which used interview techniques, questionnaires, observations and records for taking the data. So, the research was conducted by taking the real data from communities in North Sumatra, Indonesia.
INTRODUCTION TO CODE CHOICE, CODE SWITCHING AND CODE MIXING