Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Sarah's Top 3 Apps
Transcript of Sarah's Top 3 Apps
“My 5 year old daughter loves this! She had so much fun moving the characters around and picking the music. She was excited when she heard her voice recording too! Great app for any little creative genius!” -5 stars Nov. 7, 2012
I think this app is great and really allows students to work with their creative side but still achieve a deeper learning of ELA.
- assist in teaching the story writing process - write scripts and create stories on the app - share their works with the class or work together to create original works - allow students to create their own stories or give them a topic they have to create a story around - students must step out of their comfort zone and make a really creative piece of work - students must develop skills to work with the app - I will introduce the app by creating one story together as a class on the SMARTboard or overhead. - Any student needing extra help may work with a buddy so they don't feel the pressure of creating a story and learning the new app by themselves. Standards - Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
-Subject: English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
-Grade : Grade 2 students
-Strand: Speaking and Listening
-Domain: Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
-Standard: 4. Tell a story or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive...
-Standard: 5. Create audio recordings of stories or poems; add drawings or other visual displays to stories or...
-Standard: 6. Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation in order to provide...
App 2: Chocolate Chip Cookie Factory Synopsis: Classroom/ Teacher Use: Learning: UDL: Standards: Reviews: Overall Rating: 5 stars “A very useful app with unique game play to work on different math concepts including counting, adding, etc and place value. Thanks to possibility to select difficulty level and math concept to practice, both my daughters (6 and 10) can play with this app. my 10 year old daughter is currently studying place value so this app is exactly what I need right now.” 5 stars Sep. 15, 2012.
“My students are going to love this. I like how the game doesn’t just entertain kids to get them to practice their facts and do math problems, it actually helps them learn and understand place value in a very intuitive way. the new online learning guide - especially the extension activities and blackline masters - is great for classroom use.” 4 stars Sep. 3, 2012
I would definitely use this app in my classroom. It’s a wonderful app for place value and it is engaging while also teaching a very important concept at the same time.
Standards - Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
Grade : Grade 2
Domain: Number and Operations in Base Ten 2.NBT
Cluster: Understand place value. 1. Understand that the three digits of a three-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens, and ones; e.g., 706 equals 7 hundreds, 0 tens, and 6 ones. Understand the following as special cases: a. 100 can be thought of as a bundle of ten tens — called a “hundred.” b. The numbers 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 refer to one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine hundreds (and 0 tens and 0 ones). 2. Count within 1000; skip-count by 5s, 10s, and 100s. 3. Read and write numbers to 1000 using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form. 4. Compare two three-digit numbers based on meanings of the hundreds, tens, and ones digits, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons. - used for mathematics and place value - package orders of cookies based on place value - single cookies = 1 cookie
- stack of cookies = 10 cookies
- box of cookies = 100 cookies -fill as many orders as you can before time runs out -app is FREE - used for 1st-4th grade - use this app after place value had been introduced to the students - great way to apply what has been taught and work on fluency - allows teacher to see if the students are really understanding the concept - I would have the students compete against one another and against themselves to improve the number of orders they can complete in the given time - students will become more fluent in their understanding and use of place value - addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can't be done without understanding place value - this app helps create a good base knowledge to introduce more concepts with the idea of place value -For students with learning abilities below average I will allow this to be done in pairs or groups. - The multiplayer option makes this simple - For students above the average level they make select the higher level of the app to begin App 3: Brain Quest Synopsis: Reviews: Classroom/Teacher Use: Learning: UDL: Standards: Standards - Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
USA- ISTE: National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) for All Teachers (2011)
-Standard: 1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.
-Performance Indicator: a. promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness
Overall Rating : 4 Stars “This was the most fun I’ve ever had teaching my son everything from math to history. It really works like a game and makes children want to learn, fostering a bit of intellectual competitiveness as well as the relationship between learning and fun.” June 18, 2012
“We downloaded the full suite last night and both kids (4 and 6 respectively) love it. Perfect for keeping them distracted but actually learning at the same time. It’s the first educational game app that I feel like they are actually learning from.” May 26, 2012
I think this app is great for students to use in and out of the classroom. It’s great to take up some free time to keep students distracted if they have finished their work early and it’s educational at the same time.
- In this app students are presented with multiple choice questions based on Social Studies , ELA, Math, Science, Reading, Writing, and more content
- The app is FREE - For grades 1-5 - For each grade level the level of difficulty of the question increases - I would most likely use this app to fill time and keep students engaged in education while they are waiting for a new lesson, subject, or activity
- Rather than wasting time sitting at their desk or having social time, they can still be acquiring and practicing their knowledge of many subjects with this app
- the app incorporates so many different subject areas that it keeps the students interested and is less likely to seem repetitive or boring
- the students are timed and as the grade levels go up, the questions get harder so it involves some critical thinking and problem solving skills for the students as it becomes more difficult
- there are different grade level options so the students can select which is most comfortable with them
- if a student is above their grade level, they can feel free to move ahead
- if the student is below grade level, they can work their way up to a comfortable grade level at their own pace
- students can work together with other students to if they wish