Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Definition
UDL is a set of principles for curriculum development that give all individuals equal opportunities to learn.
1. Address learner variability
1. "The different options of “what,” “why,” and “how” of learning offered in a UDL environment provide learning opportunities that reach a diverse set of students."
- 1990s invented
Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
1. Multi-sensory Representation
Hong Kong and Macau
- Inflexible, "one-size-fit-all" curricula
- Students in the margin are neglected
- Weak in critical thinking
- Focuses on rote learning
- Diverse students
- All students are unique
- Genuine learning opportunities should be provided to all
3. Foster a love for learning in students
2. Develop expert learners
- Find learning boring
Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 2.0
. Wakefield, MA: Author.
- only in "recent years" has it caught attention
"when faculty use the UDL framework to help design courses,... there is a positive relationship to student interest and engagement; and students are
CAST (2011). Universal Design for Learning Guidelines version 2.0.
Wakefield, MA: Author.
The ACCESS Project. (2011). Universal Design for Learning: A Concise
Introduction. Retrieved from: http://accessproject.colostate.edu/udl/modules/udl_introduction/udl_concise_intro.pdf
3. Foster a Love for Learning in Students
Address learner variability
2. Develop Expert Learners
These three means "correlate to the way our brains are organized for learning. UDL is built on years of research in the learning sciences, including brain science, focused on three networks of the brain."
Smith, F. G. (2012). Analyzing a college course that adheres to the universal
design for learning (UDL) framework.
Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 12
Dean, T., Lee-Post, A., & Hapke, H. (2016). Universal design for
learning in teaching large lecture classes.
Journal of Marketing Education.
Novak, K. (2016). UDL Now! A Teacher's Guide to Applying Universal Design for Learning in Today's Classrooms (Revised & Expanded Edition ed.). Wakefield, MA: CAST.
Different homework formats
e.g. rubber band
Guide appropriate Goal-setting
e.g. reading scheme
e.g. video, recording
Ka Ka Lam (Connie)
Ka Man Au (Karman)
1. Stimulate students' sensory
We learned that.....
2. Teaching students in the margin = teaching all
So in HK, I will use more activities
So, in Macau, I will use videos to present and increase English exposures for students
3. Use multiple ways to teach
So in HK, I will use songs and pictures to help students like English