Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
Styles of conflict management
WHAT IS POWER? WHAT PRINCIPLES GOVERN THE OPERATION OF POWER IN INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIP?
NATURE OF IPC
the two-person unit is of central importance.
is two person relationship formed by members of a larger group for achieving a naturally desired benefit or goal.
as your relationship develops, a dyadic consciousness emerges.
CONFLICT IN GROUPS
-Conflict can be good if it is managed appropriately. By airing difference, group members can produce quality decisions and satisfying interpersonal relationships.
Interpersonal communication is a series of punctuated events.
FUNCTIONS OF INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
"The way we communicate with others and with ourselves ultimately determines the quality of our lives".
- Anthony Robbins
Building a Context of Understanding
One reason we engage in interpersonal communication is so that we can gain knowledge about another individual.
We also engage interpersonal communication to help us better understand what someone says in a given context.
Another reason we engage in interpersonal communication is to establish an identity.
- is the need to establish identity with others.
- is the need to exercise leadership and prove one's abilities.
- is the need to develop relationships with people.
AXIOMS of INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
-JOSEPH DE VITO(1995)
Interpersonal communication is grounded in theory and research.
Interpersonal communication is a transactional process.
Interpersonal communication is ambiguous.
Interpersonal relationship maybe symmetrical and complementary.
Interpersonal communication refers to content and relationship.
Interpersonal communication is inevitable, irreversible, and unrepeatable.
Six Characteristics of IPC
1. IPC involves interdependent individuals.
2. It is inherently relational.
3. It exist on a continuum.
4. Involves verbal and non verbal messages.
5. Exists in various forms.
6. Varies in effectiveness
Contrived or Emergent Groups
Nominal Group thinking
The Final Decision
ORBE & BRUESS(2005)
-EXPLAIN FOUR PRINCIPLES OF INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION.
-LHEDIWA SAMUEL CHIBUNDU (2005)
-TIM BORCHES (1999)
WHY DO PEOPLE JOIN A GROUP ?
SUPPORT AND COMMITMENT
BENNE & SHEATS(1948)
-JOSEPH E. VITO(1995)
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING