Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Carboxylic Acids Presentation
Transcript of Carboxylic Acids Presentation
Kessel, V.K. Jekins, F.J. Davies, L.D. Plumb, D.P. Guiseppe, M.G. lantz, O.L. Tompkins, D.T. (2003). Nelson: Chemistry 12. Toronto Ontario: Kevin Martindale Provides a sour or tangy flavour when present in foods! 2. Use the appropriate prefix (meth-, eth-, etc) 3. Add the suffix of "-anoic acid"
Example: the simplest carboxylic acid is methanoic acid
OH 4. Acids with a carboxyl group at each end of the parent chain use the suffix "-anediotic acid"
Example: HOOC-CH2-COOH is named propanediodic acid 5. When more carboxyl groups are present, all COOH groups may be named as substituents on the parent chain. The carbons in these groups are not included in the parent chain. Example: citric acid, or 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-triboxilic acid 1. Count and number the carbons in the longest (parent) chain
* Include the carbon in the carboxyl group
* A carboxyl group take precedence over alkyl groups and double bonds when numbering Citric Acid Uses of Carboxylic Acids In law enforcement tracking dogs use the carboxylic acids in a persons sweat to find them! Ethanoic acid is the result of the reaction occurring in the production of wine vinegar! Ethanoic acid is also used in the dying process of textile industries! Methanoic acid is used in the production of rubber! Formic Acid Tartaric Acid Activity Your task is to construct the following carboxylic acids from the molecular model kits: 1. propanoic acid 2. 2,2-dimethylbutanoic acid 3. 2-hydroxypropane- 1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid