Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
What is Deforestation?
Transcript of What is Deforestation?
Impact on the Environment
Forests have gone from covering about 90% to 30% of the earth's surface.
25% of medicines come from forests we're destroying.
The biggest driver of deforestation is agriculture. Farmers cut down forests to provide more room for planting crops.
Logging operations provide the world's wood and paper products. They cut down countless trees each year.
Why is deforestation an important environmental issue?
Deforestation happens when earth's rainforests
are cleared on a massive scale.
The increased CO2 emissions affect the Ozone layer and cause global warming.
The tropical forests that are being destroyed contain 70-90% of the world's species. This means that they are losing their habitat and cannot survive.
What is Deforestation?
Eco- Friendly Practices:
1. Buy paper products that have 100% recycled content
2. When you cut down a tree, plant a
a new one. Plant 2 !
However, the main problem of Deforestation is not due to Natural Disasters. It is a man made problem.
3. Get involved with organizations to support
re-planting of forests.
Forests are cut down in order to make room for houses, factories, planting for agriculture and for paper products.
This video shows a timelapse of
the deforestation increasing:
By: Michaela D.
Some deforestation occurs from natural disasters such as forest fires.
Sources of Info:
4. Encourage your government to make laws to preserve forests.
Deforestation is the 2nd leading cause of CO2
emissions after the burning of fossil fuels.
Despite this fact, lots of countries do not have
laws to preserve their forests.
However, deforestation is gaining attention.
"Keeping forests alive is crucial to solving climate
5. Support the environment by Reduce, Reuse & Recycle