Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
McCarthyism and "The Crucible"
Transcript of McCarthyism and "The Crucible"
using false accusations
as personal attacks to attain popularity
or attention McCarthy "The Crucible" Overviewof the events that led to McCarthy to accuse people of communism: *people were passing secret info to the soviet union
*If you were members of the communist party McCarthy enjoyed the attention and power
*the HUAC came into play because they wanted to prove a lot of actors and writers
HUAC thought movies brainwashed many Americans and advertising communist.They
even questioned Shirley temple!
*McCarthy forced many to testify- a lot didn't answer to being a communist b/c
they sought it as a violation of both their civil rights and any people.
TimeLine: McCarthy •Born on a farm in the Town Of Grand Chute, Wisconsin on November 15,1908
•To make money, he found work, at first as a clerk but soon after as a manager, at a grocery store in Appleton, Wisconsin. He was 20 years old.
•1929- His managing skills were highly praised and he was transferred to Manawa to manage another store .
•In Manawa, he attended Little Wolf High School and graduated 9 months later. His incredible intellectual abilities got him into Marquette University in Milwaukee by the fall of 1930.
• 1935- Obtained his law degree and opened a practice in Waupaca.
• 1936- Ran as a Democrat for the position Shawano D.A. and failed.
• 1937- Became partner of a firm in Shawano.
• 1939- Ran for position of judge in the Tenth Judicial Circuit and was successful in obtaining the position. He was the youngest ever appointed in Wisconsin.
• 1942- Took a leave of absence and was commissioned as an intelligence agent in the Marines, participating in combat bombing missions.
• 1944- Ran against Alexander Wiley for the Republican nomination in the U.S. Senate and lost. Was still commissioned at the time.
• 1945- Was decommissioned and re-elected with ease as a circuit judge.
• 1946- Ran against the famous and well-respected senator of Wisconsin, Robert La Follette Jr., for the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate. • February 9, 1950- Addresses the issue concerning the high suspicion of communists in America in a speech to Republican women in Wheeling, West Virginia. In the speech he accused U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson of knowing of 205 communists in the State Department. McCarthy also said that he knew 57 of their names and began an investigation. •July 17, 1950- McCarthy’s charges were found false and he was ordered to halt his accusations and private investigations. McCarthy disregarded the order and continued to grab full media attention through accusing the government of being under communist influences.
•1952- McCarthy was investigated for communism in the “Hennings Report”, but found innocent. He was re-elected with 54% of the vote.
•1953- He became chairman of the subcommittee of investigations and Committee on Government Operations,
•September 29, 1953- He married Jean Kerr, a researcher from his office.
•Fall of 1953- Investigated the Army Signal Corps. Mistreatment of Gen. Ralph Zwicker • March 1954- Attacks, such as the CBS broadcast “See It Now”, are made against McCarthy