Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of SCIENCE FICTION
Development Cyberpunk Artificial Intelligence Theological Dystopia "Ender's Game" "Frankenstein" & "Ender's Game" Apocalyptic/
Post-apocalyptic "Neuromancer" "Frankenstein" & "A Canticle for Leibowitz" "A Canticle for Leibowitz" "Neuromancer" "A Canticle for Leibowitz" Mutants "Frankenstein" Virtual Reality SCIENCE FICTION Generation Ship MORE: Incorporates a technology which allows a user to interact with a computer-simulated environment. There is an interstellar or interplanetary conflict and the preparation and/or participation in the war makes up the main or partial backdrop of the story.
* Predictions of the future that include the evolution of mankind, resulting in superior capabilities such as enhanced mental or physical abilities. Focuses on "high tech and low life". It features advanced technology coupled with some degree of breakdown in the social order. Apocalyptic:
End of civilization through some general disaster.
Immediately after such a disaster OR considerably later when the existence of pre-catastrophe civilization has been forgotten or mythologized.
*Often take place in a non-technological future world, or a world where only scattered elements of technology remain. Science Fiction that focus on artificial intelligence; Computers with intelligent behavior, learning and adaptation capabilities. Theological is works of science-fiction that often present explanations or commentary on religion and religious ideas. Opposite of Utopian: creation of a nightmare world, sometimes also described as "the victory of forces of reason over forces of kindness". Includes a character that exhibits superhuman abilities, those of which are the result of a life form's mutation. Sub-Genres WHAT iS SCIENCE FICTION? LET'S SEE WHAT THE EXPERTS HAD TO SAY The appeal of science fiction Bibliography Designed by Claire When Aliens with superior technology are a threat to Earth. Alien Invasion Welcome back to ........ Alien Literature 101 Hope you had a great holiday (and completed all assigned reading!!!!!) "Ender's Game" "Neuromancer" "Science fiction writers foresee the inevitable, and although problems and catastrophes may be inevitable, solutions are not. "
-Isaac Asimov "For me science fiction is a way of thinking, a way of logic that bypasses a lot of nonsense. It allows people to look directly at important subjects. "
- Gene Roddenberry, creator of "Star Trek" "Science fiction is the most important literature in the history of the world, because it's the history of ideas, the history of our civilization birthing itself. ...Science fiction is central to everything we've ever done, and people who make fun of science fiction writers don't know what they're talking about.”
― -Ray Bradbury ".. science fiction is often very far from escapism, in fact you might say that science fiction is escape into reality... It's a fiction which does concern itself with real issues: the origin of man; our future. In fact I can't think of any form of literature which is more concerned with real issues, reality."
- Arthur C Clark “Science fiction deals with improbable possibilities, fantasy with plausible impossibilities.”
-Miriam Allen de Ford Goodreads. "Science Fiction Books." Share Book Recommendations With Your Friends, Join Book Clubs, Answer Trivia. Goodreads Inc, n.d. Web. 12 Jan. 2013. <http://www.goodreads.com/genres/science-fiction>. "Science Fiction Sub-Genres." Worlds Without End. icow.com, n.d. Web. 2 Jan. 2013. <http:/www.worldswithoutend.com/resources_sub-genres.asp>. *All sub-genre definitions came for the website www.worldswithoutend.com. I highly recommend this website because you can search a book and it will give you it's top three sub-genres, OR if you are looking for a book with a specific sub-genre it provides a link to a list of books with every definition.* "Growing up, I never gave a thought to being a writer. All I ever wanted to be was a traveler and explorer. Science-fiction allowed me to go places that were otherwise inaccessible, which is why I started reading it."
-Alan Dean Foster "Science fiction is any idea that occurs in the head and doesn't exist yet, but soon will, and will change everything for everybody, and nothing will ever be the same again. As soon as you have an idea that changes some small part of the world you are writing science fiction. It is always the art of the possible, never the impossible. "
-Ray Bradbury “One of the liberating effects of science fiction when I was a teenager was precisely its ability to tune me into all sorts of strange data and make me realize that I wasn’t as totally isolated in perceiving the world as being monstrous and crazy”
― William Gibson "So much of literary sci-fi is about creating worlds that are rich and detailed and make sense at a social level. We'll create a world for people and then later present a narrative in that world. "