Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
what is a water bottle
Transcript of what is a water bottle
By: Emma, Tamsyn, Sam and Chris.
- North American bottled water consumption has jumped 25% from 1975 to 2007
-The plastic in bottled water is extracted from crude oil, corn and petroleum.
- About 24,000 different chemicals are found in bottled water.
Extraction Of Natural Resources
What Is Bottled Water?
- There is very little empirical evidence that suggests bottled water is any cleaner or better than tap water
- Approximately 30 billion water bottles are consumed in North America per year.
Bottled water produces up to 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year!
- Millions of gallons of water are removed from local watersheds; this disrupts the hydrological cycle and limits the amount of water available to humans as well as damages local ecosystems
- 17 million barrels of oil are consumed in the production of the bottles alone - enough to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year
- Nearly 50 billion new PET plastic bottles were produced in 2005 from virgin materials rather than recycled materials
One gallon of water costs more than a gallon of gasoline.
- The bottled water is transported by diesel trucks from the factories to local convenient stores, thus adding the Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere
- Foreign bottled water companies (Fiji Natural Water) are shipped and imported to our country. This process also raises the atmosphere's Carbon Dioxide's intake
- 40% of bottled water comes from tap water
Bottled water is the number one growing segment of the beverage industry in North America. As one of the major beverage producers, it has been recorded that global bottled water sales were ranked up to $60 billion. Bottled water drains our sources of fresh water and challenges our waste-disposal systems; therefore, harshly impacting our environment rapidly.
Bottled Water is 10,000 times more environmentally damaging than tap water due to its misuse of disposal!
Can you tell the difference?
Did You Know? ...
Bottled water costs between $0.25 and $2 on average, while tap water costs less than $0.01
We have guided you through the life cycle of a water bottle and the impacts that it has on us and the world around us from day to day. As you can see, drinking bottled water causes more damage than drinking tap water
(and they're basically the same thing!)
Let's take a break from the bottle...
it takes 1000 years for plastic bottles to break down- they disintegrate into tiny bits- releases carcinogens and dioxins.
67million water bottles are thrown away each day -10% of these are recycled
-2.5 million tons of CO2 released in the production
-it takes 7L of water to manufacture a 1L water bottle creating 100g of CO2
more than 75% of people drink bottles water
1billion people around the world do not have access to safe, clean drinking water
-there are 50 billion water bottles consumed every year. 30 billion of them in the US=60% of worlds water bottles= 1500 bottles consumed every second but Us is only 4.5% of the worlds population
The Effects on the Environment
-Scientists are finding dead animals on the beach with bellies full of plastic.
-PET's don't biodegrade, they breakdown into tiny peaces and absorb toxins that pollute the environment.
-every square mile of the ocean has over 46000 pieces of plastic floating in it
The Effects on Humans
Bottles can leach bisphenol-A (BPA). it tricks your body into thinking it is estrogen
The chemicals in the water bottle (BPA) can produce reproductive, learning, behavior, immune system, puberty, fertility, anger and obesity problems along with diabetes and cancer.
Phthalates reduce sperm count, cause liver cancer and testicular atrophy or structural abnormality
Did you know??
-22% of the water tested contained contaminant levels that exceeded state health limits
-New York has the safest, cleanest tap water in the country
-the World Bank predicts that by 2025 two thirds of the worlds population will lack access to water due to this wastage and the wars of tomorrow will be fought over water.
-college students are staging protests, declaring bottle free zones on campus
-charge New York City diners 1 dollar for every glass of tap water during one week in march (World Water Week) and give that money to UNICEF to help provide water around the world
bottled water is less regulated than tap water
Why do we choose bottled water over tap?
Is it safer?
Is it healthier?
Or are we just paranoid?