Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Human Rights. Always.
Transcript of Human Rights. Always.
The Post Secondary
Academic & Coop Advising
Institutional Structure & Culture
Julia M. Satov
Lead, Global Citizenship & Equity Learning Adviser
Centennial College, ON
The agency of the formal curriculum, and formal pedagogy
Cultural relativity, cultural and social capital
Centennial's Global Citizenship & Equity
International Programs & Global Advancement
Royal Roads University, BC
Associate Director, International Student Development
University of British Columbia
Case Studies - Discussion
1. In what way are human rights at issue in this situation? Whose?
2. What role might be played in addressing the issue by the institution? The student? Others?
3. What opportunities does this present to understand and address systemic barriers to full inclusion?
What is Human Rights?
Universality vs. Relativity
Culture Based Exclusion
Julia M. Satov
The Case Studies
Out of Here
Home Sweet Home
Examining the Challenges
Human Rights: Context & Scope
Institutional Agents of Empowerment
CBIE, 47th Annual Conference, 2013
Welcome & Introductions
- Thevi – Rationale & Context for Discussion
- Julia - Institutional Agents of Empowerment
- Michelle - Context & Case Studies
- All: Interactive Discussion & Take-Aways
Principals to promote and protect the human rights of international students, Australian Human Rights Commission, 2013
International Student Mobility Charter, European Association International Education, 2012
What mechanisms within the post-secondary classroom
experience empower students?
Why this topic?