Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Electric Vehicles
They create less pollution than gasoline-powered cars because they are powered by an electric motor and not a gasoline engine. Electric Vehicles Presentation by: Tanya Garcia, Ayanna Smith
& Hannah Mallen
It’s almost impossible to tell an electric vehicle apart by only looking at the outside of the car.
We need to look under the hood to see the differences and how electric cars work.
The biggest difference is that the electric car has an electric motor instead of a gas engine. Within an EV, a lot of the things you expect to see are missing. This list includes The muffler, converter, tailpipe and gas tank.
The electric motor is next to the transmission and is attached by an adapter plate.
A controller is connected to the electric motor, which allows power to flow through to the motor. The controller itself is powered by rechargeable batteries. 5. Steering is simple with EVs. The wheels are turned automatically as a charge is sent to the motor.
6. Drive carefully and follow all state mandated road rules.
7. Park your vehicle when you have reached destination.
8. Lastly, remember to plug in your car at night. The charger is near the motor. If you allow your car to charge at night, you can fully charge your batteries. A fully charged car can travel approximately 140 miles. Global warming is
the emission of
greenhouse gases. Batteries are expensive Electric Cars are silent- this has been known to cause accidents Batteries are HEAVY Batteries are hooked to battery packs to give additional power, but... They can also weigh up to 1000lbs or 1/3 of the weight of the car
This lowers car maneuverability Short range of miles- most electric vehicles cannot travel more than 140 miles fully charged Long Charging Time With a lithium-ion battery, a fully charged EV can travel nearly the same distance as a car with an internal combustion system on a full tank of gas Must be recharged after driven. An EV can be out of service for at least several hours. Impractical
-EVs cannot accelerate or cruise like a gasoline powered car
-Luxuries like air conditioning and radio use up very limited battery life 72% of the totally emitted greenhouse gases is carbon dioxide (CO2) Using Oil as a fuel
contributes to the
emissions. Because Electric vehicles do no directly produce any emissions, they can significantly reduce CO2 emissions, which are associated with global warming. Some electricity in certain regions does however come from coal burning, which in itself produces CO2 emissions. As electricity production becomes cleaner, the environmental advantages of electric vehicles will increase. Greenberg, Steven. Celebrating Our Independence. N.d. Cartoon Stock, Bath, England. Web. 27 Feb 2013. <http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/directory/o/oil.asp>. Energy Security In 2011, the U.S. imported 25% of its petroleum. Two-thirds of it was consumed by transportation. A lot of the imported petroleum comes from politically volatile countries. Due to the turmoil, the United States is vulnerable to price spikes and supply disruption. Unlike petroleum, the vast majority of electricity in the United States is produced domestically. Moving away from petroleum and towards electricity, would allow the U.S. to decrease their reliance on imported petroleum and their dependency on these unstable countries. Lefton, Rebecca, and Daniel J. Weiss. 2008 crude oil imports from unstable countries. 2010. Center for American Progress, Lost Angeles, California. Web. 27 Feb 2013. Icefields, Alain. Car Pollution. N.d. Dreamstime, Brentwood, Tennessee. Web. 27 Feb 2013. Electric vehicles are much more energy efficient than their conventional counterparts. Electric motors convert virtually all of their fuel energy into usable power. The internal combustion engine is less than 20% efficient. ENERGY EFFICIENCY Energy Efficiency. 2012. NativeWeb. 27 Feb 2013.
homes/energy-efficiency/>. The higher cost of an electric or hybrid vehicle can be offset by the eligible tax credit and the lower fuel costs. Charging at night can reduce the fuel cost up to one fourth of the price of using gasoline or diesel. Maintenance costs are also much lower with electric vehicles. They do not need tune ups or oil changes. Go Green & SAVE Money Untitled. 2012. Babcox Media, IncWeb. 27 Feb 2013. <http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/Article/101417/become_environmentally_friendly_without_losing_money_or_efficiency.aspx?categoryId=295>. Infrastructure Availability Electric Vehicles and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles have the advantage of flexibility in fueling. They can charge overnight at a residence or can charge during the day at a workplace or public charging station. The number of publicly accessible charging stations exceeding 7000 in 2012 and is quickly increasing. There is no fuel odor with electric vehicles, as the vehicles do not operate on a combustion fuel.
Electric Vehicles are quiet. The ride is virtually silent.
Through regenerative braking, electric vehicles achieve smoother breaks and greater break life. “A Simple DC Controller”. Photo.
19 Feb. 2013. How Electric Cars Work. <http://auto.howstuffworks.com/electric- car2.htm>. Works Cited “Advances in Lithium-Ion Batteries Will Make Electric Vehicles Competitive, But It
Take a Decade | MIT Technology Review.” MIT Technology Review. Web. 28 Feb. 2013.
“Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Cars.” CarsDirect. Web. 28 Feb. 2013.
Bhat, Nidhi. "The Future: Our Planet in 2050 | Electric Cars." ThinkQuest. Oracle Foundation, n.d. Web. 28 Feb. 2013.
Bishop, Adrian. "Electric vehicle benefits vary by region and electricity
grid sources." The Earth Times. N.p., 17 Apr 2012. Web. 17 Feb 2013.
"Electric Vehicle Comparison." Ford. Web. 19 Feb. 2013.
"How Hybrids Work." How Hybrids Work. Web. 19 Feb. 2013.
“HowStuffWorks ‘Advantages and Disadvantages’.” HowStuffWorks. Web. 28 Feb.
United States. U.S. Department of Energy. Benefits and Considerations
of Electricity as a Vehicle Fuel. 2013. Web.
"UTC Center for Energy, Transportation and the Environment." The University of
Tennessee at Chattanooga. The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, n.d. Web. 28 Feb 2013. <http://www.utc.edu/Research/CETE/electric.php>.
"Welcome To Battery University." Basic to Advanced Battery Information from
Battery University. Cadex Electronics Inc., n.d. Web. 28 Feb. 2013. SIDENOTE
A LITTLE BIT OF CHEMISTRY The base of the car holds a battery tray. For the majority of models, this tray holds as many as 50 batteries.
Today, many electric vehicles use lithium iodide batteries , as they hold a better charge, and are commonly used in computers.
The necessary functions of the car, such as A/C, is also wired to the battery You've just bought you're first EV!
What now??? 1. To turn your car on, simply put the key in the ignition and turn. The car key is essentially the “on” button.
2. Go into reverse to exit your parking lot. Forward and reverse actions are controlled by a switch that is placed where the manual transmission used to be.
3. As you press down on the accelerator, this signal is interpreted by the controller, which then tells the motor how fast to go. Turning up the throttle is easily done by the driver.
4. Steer clear and look out of your mirrors. [Remember EVs are silent. Pedestrians can't hear you coming.] Frace-Presse, Agence. Untitled. 2013. New York Times CompanyWeb. 26 Feb 2013. Untitled. 2010. The Daily GreenWeb. 26 Feb 2013. <http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/blogs/cars-transportation/electric-car-charging-stations-460710>. Untitled. 2013. The Port Authority of New York and New JerseyWeb. 28 Feb 2013. <http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-electric-vehicle-charging-stations.html>. Aker Wade Power Technologies, . Level III Charging Station. 2010. Electric Co-op TodayWeb. 28 Feb 2013. Untitled. 2011. Colombia.comWeb. 26 Feb 2013. <http://www.colombia.com/tecnologia/fullmotor/sdi/15511/carga-inalambrica-para-autos-electricos>. Untitled. 2010. Green Car ReportsWeb. 26 Feb 2013. <http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1048581_almost-1-million-electric-car-charging-points-in-u-s-by-2015-analyst-says>. Untitled. 2011. News Lincoln CountyWeb. 26 Feb 2013. <http://www.newslincolncounty.com/?cat=228>. Untitled. 2008. Greenpacks.orgWeb. 26 Feb 2013. <http://www.greenpacks.org/2008/05/07/recharge-vehicules-electriques-self-serve-electric-car-pools-by-paris-mayor/>. Untitled. 2011. The Expired MeterWeb. 28 Feb 2013. <http://theexpiredmeter.com/2011/09/mall-owner-installs-electric-car-charging-stations/>. http://mindmillion.com/MONEY/cartoon_money_dollar.htm Baldwin, Mike. "Hybrid Cars Cartoons and Comics." Hybrid Cars Cartoons and Comics. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Feb. 2013. "Plug 6 Clip Art." Clker.com. N.p., 22 June 2009. Web. 28 Feb. 2013. "Unbalanced Scale Right Clip Art." Clker.com. N.p., 15 Aug. 2011. Web. 28 Feb. 2013. Untitled. 2009. Kalmbach Publishing, Co.Web. 20 Feb 2013. <http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2009/08/21/test-drive-tesla-roadster/ BMW Mini E. 2009. Electricnick.comWeb. 20 Feb 2013. <http://electricnick.com/tag/bmw-mini-e/>. Nissan Leaf. 2009. WikipediaWeb. 20 Feb 2013. Think City 2008. 2010. Blogspot.comWeb. 28 Feb 2013. <http://sportcar-eric.blogspot.com/2010/11/think-city-2008.html>. Mitsubishi i-MiEV. 2013. AutoevolutionWeb. 20 Feb 2013. <http://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-image/mitsubishi-readies-i-miev-evolution-for-pikes-peak-2012/75444.html>. Electric Car. 2011. ElectricmanincWeb. 20 Feb 2013. <http://blog.electricmaninc.com/2011/02/21/electric-cars-are-worth-the-money/>. Tesla Model S Outsprints Dodge Viper SRT10. 2013. LCT MagazineWeb. 25 Feb 2013. <blogs.lctmag.com/lctblog/category/55.asp&xgt;. Another reason why reducing the number carbon dioxide emissions is in our best interests: CO2 reacts with water vapor molecules in the atmosphere to produce carbonic acid (H2CO3). Acid Rain is the product of Carbonic Acid in our atmospheres.