Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership
Transcript of Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership
Situational Leadership Theory
Leaders are more effective when they use a leadership style based on the individuals or the group that they are leading.
Four Types of Leadership
- Leaders tell their people exactly what to do and how to do it.
Situational Leadership Model
– People at this level of maturity are at the bottom level of the scale. They lack the knowledge, skills, or confidence to work on their own, and they often need to be pushed to take the task on.
The Hersey-Blanchard model maps each leadership style to each maturity level, as shown below.
- Leaders still provide information and direction, but there's more communication with their followers. Leaders "sell" their message to get the team on board.
- Leaders focus more on the relationship and lesson the direction, the leader works with the team, and shares decision-making responsibilities.
- Leaders pass most of the responsibility onto the group. The leaders still monitor the progress, but are less involved in decisions.
Knowing when to use each style is dependent on the maturity of the group.
– At this level, followers might be willing to work on the task, but they still don't have the skills to do it successfully.
– Here, followers are ready and willing to help with the task. They have more skills than the M2 group, but they're still not confident in their abilities.
- These followers are able to work on their own. They have high confidence and strong skills, and they're committed to the task.
Most Appropriate Leadership Style
M1: Low Maturity
M2: Medium Maturity, limited Skills
M3: Medium Maturity, higher skills but lacking confidence
M4: High maturity