Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Pull of the Ocean
Transcript of The Pull of the Ocean
CHARACTER VS SELF (Yann) Conflict The theme of my novel is brotherhood. I think this because the brothers are all trusting and caring to each other. The reason I think brotherhood is the theme of this novel is because with each set of twins, the pair have a special relationship with each other. In addition, the sets of twins are close with each other and with Yann. They trust each other because when Yann says they have to leave they all follow without question. Theme 3 symbols from my novel Symbolism Plot The Pull of the Ocean By: Jean-Claude Mourlevat ENG1D Youth Fiction Summative Evaluation
Presentation By: Ken Lumsden!
Teacher: Mr. Friedrich The 10 major events of the novel -The first point of the plot is when, Yann, the main characters gets brought home by the school councilor.
-The second point is when Yann tells his brothers (3 sets of twins) that their parents are going to kill them.
-The third point is when all 7 brothers leave their home. Plot Continued -The fourth point is when they get a ride from a truck driver.
-The fifth point is when they reach the ocean and are walking around on the beach.
-The sixth point is when the brothers find a house and throw Yann into the chimney so he can unlock the door and let them inside. 1. Smart: Yann is smart because he gets great marks in school, he could read when he was a 1 year old and he seems to know the answer to every problem the brothers face on their journey to the ocean.
2. Manipulative: Yann is manipulative because he's always wanted to runaway from home to the ocean with his brothers' but they don't want to leave even though they have a terrible life. He doesn't really care and once he gets an opportunity he takes it to get his brother to runaway with him.
3. Caring: Yann is caring because once they get lock in the house at the ocean he realizes that his brothers' are homesick he finds a phone and calls their parents to come and save them because he sees his brothers' don't want to run away as much as him. 1. The first symbol is their family home. Their home represents the pain and abuse that they get from their parents there. The house represents evil.
2. The second symbol is the ocean. The ocean represents freedom and a better life.
3. The final symbol is Yann. He represents triumph over evil because he was the only brother that got away. He also represents unity because on the journey he kept the brothers together and with a goal. Monologue Time! Setting: My monologue takes place at the end of the book when Yann is sitting alone on the deck of the boat, heading west. Yann is reflecting on the events that have led him here. Plot Continued -The seventh point is when the owner of the house comes and locks the brothers inside for three days with not much food or water.
- The eighth point is when Yann finds a telephone and phones their parents.
-The ninth point is when the police, ambulance and their parents come and take them home.
-The final point is when Yann sneaks away and boards a boat west. List of important characters Yann: Main character, very small (like 2 feet tall), mute, leader, 10 years old.
Marthe Doutreleau: Yann's mom, mean but caring.
Louis Doutrreleau: Yann's dad, only mean and abusive.
Fabien and Rémy: Yann's brothers and best friend and they understand Yann, oldest twins, take parental responsibility on their journey, 14 years old.
Pierre and Paul: Yann's brothers, second oldest twins, 13 years old.
Victor and Max: Yann's brothers, third oldest twins, 11 years old. The story is told in fist person point of view from different characters each chapter! I think this is the main conflict because Yann finally got an opportunity to runaway and to trick his brothers to come along with him. he does this by over hearing that his parents are going to kill these cats and Yann tells his brothers are going to kill them. The reason he does this is because he has always wanted to runaway but he is too small to do by himself and he needs the protection of his brothers. Three Quotes That Reveal The Main Conflict "Rage filled my heart. Filled my entire body. I felt it in my hands, my shoulders. I became a block of rage."
-Yann (After he hears that his parents are going to kill the cats, then he tells Fabien they have to runaway)
"We have to go, Fabien. All of us! Quickly! Before dawn! They want to harm us. Do you understand?
-Yann (His big lie which is the turning point of the story)
"Fabien, listen to me. I've something important to tell you. Our parents did not want to kill us. It's only the cats they wanted to kill. You understand? You'll tell the others, won't you? "
-Yann (When he finally decides to tell the truth) The song that I chose to reflect the theme is Brothers In Arms by: Dire Straits These are the lyrics: These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Someday you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn to be
Brothers in arms
Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
I've witnessed your suffering
As the battle raged higher
And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones
Now the sun's gone to hell and
The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But it's written in the starlight
And every line in your palm
We are fools to make war
On our brothers in arms