Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Food
what are separation techniques?
Separation techniques are a separating process that can separate two or more substances. Some examples of them are:
Flour, eggs and milk for pancakes.
Mashed potato and veggies for veggie patties.
Milk and milo for milo the drink.
The industry we have chosen is the food industry. The food industry trades money for food and beverages.
Lettuce, tomato, onion, carrot etc for salads.
Peanuts, almonds, cashews for nut mixes.
Strawberries, grapes watermelon etc for fruit salads.
Changes Overtime In Science and Technology
Overcome the Issues
Visual seperation is a technique which you use to seperate two or more substances using your visual eyesight. Visual seperation is used in the food industry when seperating different types of food. Some examples are mixed lollies, fruit salad and assorted nuts.
Filtration is the most commonly used seperating technique for cleaning water. Filtration is when you use a filter to clean out dirt, bacteria and small particles from water which could be from rivers or water tanks. In the food industry filtration is used when draining the stock from vegetables or meat or when draining water from pasta.
Evaporation is when a liquid turns into a gas. When the liquid is involved with heat, the liquid vaporizes. When the energy in the molecules reach a certain level, they have a phase change which triggers the evaporation cycle. Evaporation is used in the food industry when you boil or cook food on the stove. The water vapour then rises up into the air and evaporates.
Changes Over Time
Sieving is when you use a sieve to seperate two or more substances. A sieve is a utensil that is mesh on a frame. Sieving is used in the food industry when you use a tea strainer to strain the liquid from the tea leaves. Sieves work because large particles cannot fit through the holes in a sieve, but small particles can. For example, very small sieves can separate viruses from bacteria, while a fishing net could be considered a very large sieve.
Decantation is the process of seperating mixtures by seperating a liquid from an insoluble substance. To decant you must give the insoluble substance time to settle. Once settled, you then pour the liquid off the top. Decanting is commonly used in the food industry to purify a liquid like red wine. The wine is decanted from the potassium bitartrate crystals.
- The technology to make food and drinks have changed over time and gotten much better. They have become more technical and more productive.
- As food gets made it also gets transported to many different places and the gases from the cars, trucks and planes damages our Earth. Since more food gets made quicker and faster it uses more transport which releases more and more gases. This causes global warming.
- McDonalds decided to start a healthy eating range including many types of healthy salads and nutritious wraps which are now added onto the menu. They had chosen to do this because all of their other meals are full of fats and oils. They decided to make the healthier range for people complaining about the issue who didn't enjoy the unhealthier meals. This was seen as a big step for McDonalds as they were known as the largest, unhealthiest fast food restaurant across the world.
- Foodland now has signs warning people with allergies that their products such as breads and meats from delis or butchers in the grocery shops that their products may contain traces of nuts or other allergies. They have done this to prevent people from having serious allergic reactions from their products.
Here are two examples of resolved issues in the food industry:
- Transporting food is one of the fastest growing green house gasses. Each year, 817 million tons of food is transported world wide causing much harm to the environment as the gas is released.
- In America and Australia (mainly America), most of the population spend about ninety percent of their food budget on processed foods. Unlike whole foods, they have been treated in some way after being harvested or butchered. This could cause harm to our health and bodies because the foods most likely will have been handled with some sort of chemical. The chemicals that are most common in the processed food sold to us are pesticides (found in crops) and hormones (found in meat). Almost all of these processed foods contain additives or substances intended to change the food in some way before it is sold to consumers.
Here are two examples of the food industries negative impacts on the society and environment:
Here are two examples of some changes over time: