Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
FUTURE IN THE PAST
Transcript of FUTURE IN THE PAST
I am going to visit my friend this evening. I think it will rain tomorrow
I think it will rain tomorrow
I was going to visit my friend that evening. I thought it would rain the next day.
I thought it would rain the next day
Future in the Past is used to express the idea that in the past you thought something would happen in the future. It does not matter if you are correct or not. Future in the Past follows the same basic rules as the Simple Future. "Would" is used to volunteer or promise, and "was going to" is used to plan. Moreover, both forms can be used to make predictions about the future.
I told you he was going to come to the party. plan
I knew Julie would make dinner. voluntary action
Jane said Sam was going to bring his sister with him, but he came alone. plan
I had a feeling that the vacation was going to be a disaster. prediction
He promised he would send a postcard from Egypt. promise
Complete the senteces with
was/were going to
1) You're home early. I thought you __________ play squash with Alex tonight.
2) Sorry I'm late. I didn't realise the meeting ___________ go on all day.
3) She said she ______________ speak to Marek unless he apologized for being rude.
4) I knew John _________ finish the work by 5:00 PM.
5) I thought Sally ____________ make a beautiful dinner.
6) You _______________ show me the photos, but we were interrupted.
7) The start of the film was wonderful. I hoped it __________ get better, but in fact it got worse as it went on.
(time of speaking)
I am going to visit my friend this evening
I was going to visit my friend that evening
(time of speaking)
Future in the
REMEMBER No Future in Time Clauses
Like all future forms, Future in the Past cannot be used in clauses beginning with time expressions such as: when, while, before, after, by the time, as soon as, if, unless, etc. Instead of using Future in the Past, you must use Simple Past.
I already told Mark that when he would arrive, we would go out for dinner.
I already told Mark that when he arrived, we would go out for dinner.