Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
5.3: Sum and Difference Identities
Transcript of 5.3: Sum and Difference Identities
(x + y) = x + y
f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y)
What's wrong with this:
This means you can't assume that
sin (x + y) = sin x + sin y, or
cos (x + y) = cos x + cos y...
because it DOESN'T!!
Cosine of a sum or difference
cos (u + v) = cos u cos v + sin u sin v
NOTE: sign changes!
cos ( 60 ) = cos (90 - 30 )
= cos 90 cos 30 + sin 90 sin 30
= (0)(.866) + (1) (.5)
Why does this work??
Sine of a sum or difference
sin (u + v) = sin u cos v + cos u sin v
NOTE: sign does NOT change
sin (3(pi)/4) = sin ((pi)/2 + (pi)/4)
= sin (pi/2) cos (pi/4) + cos (pi/2) sin (pi/4)
= (0) (sqrt(2)/2) + (1) (sqrt(2)/2
= sqrt(2) / 2
How would you do the TANGENT of a difference or sum?
Use sum/difference identities to find the exact value:
1. sin 15
Write the expression as the sine, cosine, or tangent of an angle:
2. sin 3x cos x - cos 3x sin x
Prove the identity:
3. sin (x - (pi)/2) = -cos x
4. cot ( (pi)/2 - u) = tan u
Express the function as a sinusoid in the form
y = a sin (bx + c).
5. y = 3 sin x + 4 cos x
Assignment Quiz: 5.1
1. Use basic identities to simplify:
1 - cos u
2. Simplify to either 1 or -1:
sec (-x) - tan x
3. Find all solutions on the interval [0, 2(pi) ).
(No calculator is necessary.)
sin x tan x = sin x