Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Hypsometer Activity
Measure the height of irregularly tall objects on our campus using a clinometer, tape measure, and trigonometry.
First measure the height of an object at
Now measure the height of the top of the Elk on the front of the building.
1. Use a tape measure to measure the height of your eye.
3. Look through the eyepiece of the hypsometer to the top of the object you wish to measure. Allow the string to hang against the side of the hypsometer to create a right triangle. Mark the strings location. Record measure of segment BZ
2. Measure the distance from your eyes to the object which you want to measure.
Measure the height of the flag pole at the front of
4. When marking the distance, in the Data Table, from points A to B should be the same for all your objects measured.
5. The tape measure distance represents the distance from points G to H. Enter that distance in the appropriate column of the Data Table.
6. Measure the distance from points D to H. Enter that distance in the appropriate column of the Data Table
Next, measure the height of the stadium
Finally, measure the height of the basketball goal in the arena.
Choose any other three objects on the campus to approximate the height of.
What is a hypsometer?
A hypsometer is an instrument used for measuring the height of an object using similar tirangles.
What is a hyspometer used for?
The term hypsometer comes from two Greek words meaning "altitude meter" and typically refers to a device that is used to measure the height of an object.
The device is commonly used in surveying and construction industries as well as by arborists, who use hypsometers to measure heights of trees.
Making your own hypsometer...
Distance from object
Student height(to eye level)
Work with a partner
Make sure you stay together and make sure your teacher knows where you are going.