Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Educational Reform
- Response to Study by ADP (2004)
- English Language Arts & Literacy
- Critical reading, writing, and speaking skills
- Previously "a mile wide and an inch deep"
- PARCC RttT Assessment Consortuim
- SMARTER Balance Consortium AB 540: created a new exemption from payment of non-resident tuition for certain nonresident students who have attended high school in California and received a high school diploma or its equivalent.
California Dream Act: allows students to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships state-funded financial aid A Brief Historical Overview No Child Left Behind (2001) Emphasis on the three R's- Reading, wRiting, 'Rithmetic
Emphasis on standardized testing
-School funding attached to test scores
-Teach to test
-Top down reform English Learner Family Challenges
Access to Information
SJUSD Strategic Plan Case Study: SJUSD (Problems at Home) English Learners: The Group Other SJUSD "Strategic Plan" Poor Access to Information for Immigrant Families - About 28% of SJUSD students are English learners
- Schools create a divide between English learners and "normal" kids
- English learner success is measured by separate examinations
- Willow Glen Elementary Dual Immersion Program Image Source: Huffington Post - Increased Accountability (NCLB) - Standardized Testing (NCLB) Spencer James
Brad Le Blanc
Wendy Del Rio
Celeste Enriquez - School Choice (NCLB) - Minimum Standards (NCLB) - Preparation for Career (CC) - Holistic Approach (CC) - Critical Thinking (CC) - Punishment Paradigm (NCLB) - Narrow Subject Focus (NCLB) - Questionable Funding (CC) - Lack of Cohesion (CC) - Inadequate Scaffolding (CC) - Lack of emphasis on English Learners
- Latino population grouped with children with mental health needs in plan
- Suggested changes are not enough Image Source: SJUSD - Web links (DE) - Starts at Kindergarten (DE) - Acknowledges Gap (DE) - Incomplete & Confusing (DE) - Accessibility (DE) - Not the "regular" kid (DE) http://sampleitems.smarterbalanced.org/itempreview/sbac/index.htm