Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Financial Aid 101
Transcript of Financial Aid 101
1. Are you 24?
2. Are you married?
3. Do you have children?
4. Are you in the armed forces?
5. Are you an orphan, ward of the court, or in foster care?
What is it?
How do I get it?
How will you pay for school?
Financial Aid is ...
Types of Financial Aid
Money you use to financially assist you with paying for college and does not originate from your personal savings OR family savings OR friends/relatives savings ...
Federal Work Study
How much do I need?
why does FAFSA need my private information?
Government uses this to calculate what they "expect" your family to contribute.
EFC = Expected Family Contribution
Do I have to claim my parents?
aka: Not Other People's Money
Federal Pell Grant
University of Hawaii Opportunity Grant
Parent Loans - YES Student Loans - NO
Works around your class schedule
Scholarships ... the best FREE Money
There are no scholarships for average people
Only athletes and geniuses get scholarships
My parents make too much money for me to get scholarships
I’m not a good writer, so I can’t get a scholarship if it requires an essay
Tips & Tricks
National Scholarship Search Engines
Don't ... stretch the truth
Don't ... give quantity over quality
Don't ... PROCRASTINATE
Do ... be proud of your accomplishments
Do ... get editors to proof read your writing
Do ... complete the application!
What to expect ...
Colleges are required to provide a "cost of attendance" also known as COA
UH Community Colleges' Cost of Attendance (approximate) =
Example Financial Aid Package:
Pell Grant = $5,645
Subsidized Loan = $3,500
Unsubsidized Loan = $2,000
ABC Scholarship = $1,000
Estimated Out of Pocket = $17,120 - $12,145 =
Don't Wait ... Timeline of Events
– Write a basic personal statement; find places to apply
– Complete FAFSA; apply to as many scholarships as possible
- Financial Aid offers will be sent out from the schools you listed on your FAFSA; complete UH System Common Scholarship Application!
- Don’t forget to request your final high school transcript be sent to the school of your choice
– Your financial aid disburses the week before classes begin
Types of Financial Aid
PIN should be requested
you complete your FAFSA
Takes a few days to be active
Enter "0" (zero) if it doesn't apply to you ... Don't leave anything blank.
What is COA?
Tuition & Fees
Room & Board
Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Contact us at
**Create a PIN. You will need this to sign your FAFSA online**
UH System Common
Any student attending any 1 of the 10 UH campuses
ONE application that will apply you to many scholarships!
Hawaii CC Honolulu CC Kapiolani CC Kauai CC Leeward CC Windward CC UH Maui College UH Hilo UH Manoa UH West Oahu
Considers you for both
**Students wanting to attend
will complete this application for
. UH Manoa's
scholarships are on the STAR site**
is the application due??
March 1, 2014
do I go to apply??
should I apply??
"There are no scholarships for average people..."
"Only athletes and geniuses get scholarships..."
"My parents make too much money for me to get scholarships..."
"I'm not a good writer, so I can't get a scholarship if it requires an essay..."
scholarships...the best FREE money!
Allows you to find a job on campus
Where do I find them?
Great work experience
Hawaii Community College's Cost of Attendance =
Expected Family Contribution =
Financial Need =