Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Nematodes
Facts about nematodes
Humans host at least 50 species
Can be used for biological control
most numerous multicellular animals on earth
most nematodes spend at least part of their life cycle in the soil.
not closely related to true worms.
nearly 20,000 described species classified in the phylum Nemata
Many nematodes are able to suspend their life processes completely when conditions become unfavorable
They can survive extreme drying, heat, or cold, and then return to life when favorable conditions return.
Campbell, Neil A. Biology: Concepts and Connections. San Francisco: Pearson Custom/Benjamin Cummings, 2009. Print.
"Introduction to the Nematoda." Introduction to the Nematoda. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2016.
"Nematodes in General." Nematodes in General. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2016.
Presented by Elizabeth Baldwin
thread-like, cylindrical bodies
Embryo w/ 3 tissue layers
tough layers that cover the nematode (cuticles)
head of a nematode has a few tiny sense organs
mouth opening into a muscular pharynx where food is pulled in and crushed